Origin of word Vatican and other false cognates

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

We could... But they don't have the same resemblance as "dog" and "dog" or "gudaga".

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Meanwhile, the Greek and Nahuatl words for "god" are very similar. They are also false cognates, unless we find evidence of Atlanteans conducting trade between the Greeks and the Nahua people, of which there are none.

Eupolis

What would you make of Batistuta?
My take: ba(p)tista & -uta like astus -->astuta

And how about Maradona & Marathon (Maratona in Italian/Portuguese)?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

What would you make of Batistuta?
My take: ba(p)tista & -uta like astus -->astuta

And how about Maradona & Marathon (Maratona in Italian/Portuguese)?
...or the Toronto Blue Jays player José Bautista's surname?

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Claudilla

My goodness,, the term Vatican and Mons Vaticanus comes from the Phrygianum, the temple and quarters of the Galli, the eunuch-transvestite priests of Magna Mater (Cybele) they were permitted to leave on feriae and go out into the streets and tell fortunes: vatacinor. They also performed taurobolia and criobolia there. St Peter's is built over this old site and they are always finding this kind of thing; altars, inscriptions etc. The Vatican as an important cult center is attested by an inscription (CIL 131751 = ILS 4131) vires excepit ex a Vaticano transtulit. C.E. 160. Do read "A New Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome" L. Richardson

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

My goodness,, the term Vatican and Mons Vaticanus comes from the Phrygianum, the temple and quarters of the Galli, the eunuch-transvestite priests of Magna Mater (Cybele)
That's interesting, Claudilla, but it doesn't tell us anything about the origin of the name, which is what we were concerned with.

Claudilla

Oops sorry, mustn't write so late...um the OLD has for vates: italo-celtic cf. Irish fāith (bard) then as a substantive for the god of the Vatican hill, deus Vaticanus Varro says the word comes from vagire....and therefore Greek.

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

But Varro is engaging in folk-etymology, of course.