Online dictionary

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I don't know any such dictionary, but the Wiktionary usually gives the pronunciation in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for both classical and ecclesiastical, so maybe you could learn IPA if you haven't already! Other than that, if you want to work on your pronunciation and/or ear, listening to proper readings/people speaking in Latin is a much better way to do it than to listen to individual words I think. For instance I really like Alexius Cosanus' YouTube channel, he posts a new video almost every day and speaks a very clear Latin (there are no subtitles though, so it's probably for at least intermediate students).

john abshire

• Patronus

I don't know any such dictionary, but the Wiktionary usually gives the pronunciation in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) for both classical and ecclesiastical, so maybe you could learn IPA if you haven't already! Other than that, if you want to work on your pronunciation and/or ear, listening to proper readings/people speaking in Latin is a much better way to do it than to listen to individual words I think. For instance I really like Alexius Cosanus' YouTube channel, he posts a new video almost every day and speaks a very clear Latin (there are no subtitles though, so it's probably for at least intermediate students).
Is there an audio version (a reading) of Caesar’s Gallic Wars, (that I could follow along with), and see how each word is pronounced?
Any audio and printed prose would work as long as it is not too far advanced.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Is there an audio version (a reading) of Caesar’s Gallic Wars, (that I could follow along with), and see how each word is pronounced?
Any audio and printed prose would work as long as it is not too far advanced.
Adrian found you an audio version last time you asked that question. It seems to me the reader used the traditional German pronunciation, maybe that's not what you're looking for but you may not be able to find another free version. If you're willing to pay, I found a restituted classical pronunciation version (i.e. the pronunciation that as far as we know best approximates the actual pronunciation learned Roman speakers of the time would have used), but it's a reading of an abridged version of Dē Bellō Gallicō that's part of the Lingua Latīna Per Sē Illūstrāta book series, which only contains chapter I, IV and V with a few lines missing here and there

Here's the free sample, and here's the page where you can buy the rest. Of course it would be even better to also buy the book it is a reading of, whose author is Hans Ørberg. Not only would it make it easier to follow along the audio, but it also contains explanatory notes meant to make it readable by students who've completed the Familia Rōmāna textbook (i.e. probably what we would consider intermediate students).

john abshire

• Patronus

Adrian found you an audio version last time you asked that question. It seems to me the reader used the traditional German pronunciation, maybe that's not what you're looking for but you may not be able to find another free version. If you're willing to pay, I found a restituted classical pronunciation version (i.e. the pronunciation that as far as we know best approximates the actual pronunciation learned Roman speakers of the time would have used), but it's a reading of an abridged version of Dē Bellō Gallicō that's part of the Lingua Latīna Per Sē Illūstrāta book series, which only contains chapter I, IV and V with a few lines missing here and there

Here's the free sample, and here's the page where you can buy the rest. Of course it would be even better to also buy the book it is a reading of, whose author is Hans Ørberg. Not only would it make it easier to follow along the audio, but it also contains explanatory notes meant to make it readable by students who've completed the Familia Rōmāna textbook (i.e. probably what we would consider intermediate students).
I tried this and it is past me; and not something I could learn from. Maybe later.
My goal is to find a way to include hearing into language learning. So far my methods of learning have been reading and writing only, and I am finding it really hard to read Latin prose. Wheelock emphasizes hearing, including speaking and pronunciation, as a learning tool. I can imagine this; as children learn a language way before they can write; and people learned languages for centuries without reading or writing. What is your experience? is it important to hear the language spoken correctly to learn it; or is it most important to hear yourself speaking it, right or wrong?

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Then maybe this may be more to your liking:

I'd recommend the whole playlist. It's mostly based on the textbook I was talking about earlier, but not only.

I also would recommend -- not as a skilled Latinist but rather as someone who enjoys learning languages -- to speak a lot. Read out loud, talk to yourself, describe what you see, try to think in the language you're learning, etc. This may be more suited to extant languages, but I think it applies to dead ones also, even though a lot of Latinists would disagree.

As for not being able to read Latin prose, well of course it can be depressing if you try to do it too early in your learning phase. Be patient!

kani

Does anyone know of an online dictionary that pronounces the (Latin) word?
I hope it's not too late to recommend Forvo, right? It isn't a dictionary, but is the best option out there (also IPA of course). It's a pity there aren't other pronunciation dictionaries out there…

Godmy

Sīmia Illūstris

• Censor

I hope it's not too late to recommend Forvo, right? It isn't a dictionary, but is the best option out there (also IPA of course). It's a pity there aren't other pronunciation dictionaries out there…
Be careful about Forvo. Most Latin recordings there will be probably heavily affected by the speaker's national pronunciation or it will be simply the Italianate one. From everything that has been mentioned, I would stay away from Forvo for Latin. But I remember someone, years ago, posted a link to a particular Forvo speaker who, with some very very minor shortcomings, was posting really well done Restored Pronunciation recordings. I wish I knew where the link was...