Inspirational Nobody is coming. It's up to you.

Tertius

"Nobody is coming. It's up to you."
When I served in the Navy, this was posted all over the ship. It means exactly what it is saying. In a combat or damage control situation, there is a very good chance that no one is going to be able to reach you or no one will be available to help you. You must train to learn your job and your buddy's job. To persevere and to never give up, because your life may depend on it.

I would like to get it translated into Classical Latin.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Here's one way to put it:

Nemo venturus est. Tuae sunt partes.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Literally:

Nemo = no one
venturus = going to come
est = is

Tuae = yours
sunt = are
partes = the parts (i.e. the role, the job, the duty, etc.)

Tertius

Literally:

Nemo = no one
venturus = going to come
est = is

Tuae = yours
sunt = are
partes = the parts (i.e. the role, the job, the duty, etc.)
Alright, now I'm really curious. Would this look much different if the Latin period changed say Golden Age Latin, or Vulgate?

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

For the latter, a use of stare came to mind (based on Aen. 1.646):

omnia in te(met) stant. ("Everything rests/depends on you.") The -met emphasizes "you yourself".

Might as well stick with the Aeneid. In this case, a direct quote (12.59):

spes tu nunc una ("You're now our one/only hope.")

Last edited:

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This is possible too:

totum hoc tui est.

The whole thing is up to you (literally "of you" = "belongs to you").

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Well, I meant the genitive...
I know. But it doesn't work here. "It's up to me, you, etc./it's my, your etc. role/responsibility/characteristic" is meum, tuum, etc. est.
objective genitive.
An objective genitive is when the person or thing denoted by it would become an object if it went with a verb related to the idea. For example timor tui = the fear of you ---- timeo te = I fear you.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, scratch objective.

The example is:

Consulis est rei publicae consulere. Es ist Aufgabe/Sache/Pflicht/Zeichen des/eines Konsuls für den Staat zu sorgen

It is up to the consul to look after the republic. (So why not tui instead of consulis to say it is up to you?)

Cf. the slightly different but related use here:

totum muneris hoc tui est, = this is all a matter of your gift (Horace, Odes 4.3.21)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The genitive is used when it's a noun (like consulis or muneris). But when it's about a personal pronoun like "you", a possessive adjective is used (literally "it's yours" instead of "it's of you").

You say domus consulis for "the consul's house" but domus tua for "your house" (not domus tui). It's the same thing here.

syntaxianus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The genitive is used when it's a noun (like consulis or muneris). But when it's about a personal pronoun like "you", a possessive adjective is used (literally "it's yours" instead of "it's of you").

You say domus consulis for "the consul's house" but domus tua for "your house" (not domus tui). It's the same thing here.
You are right there, Pacifica. But I am thinking of a possible nuance in genitival use...the difference between

Humanum est errare. (It is a human thing to err.)
and
Humani est errare. (It is characteristic of a human being to err.)*

Except that this is a question of a domain of responsibility: it belongs to you / your sphere to act.

Tuum est regere = It is yours to rule. Ruling is your thing.

Tui est regere = it is part of "your thing" to rule.

But lacking specific ancient references with the usage of a personal pronoun, I cannot but yield, though reservedly, to your solution. Thank you.

*Addendum: the grammar example I found was "hominis est errare" not "humani est errare."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Humani est errare. (It is characteristic of a human being to err.)
That would usually be hominis est errare. The adjective humanus is rarely substantivized in Latin the way "human" is in English.
Tui est regere = it is part of "your thing" to rule.
That makes sense in theory (with tui working as the genitive of tuum rather than of tu). But I've never seen it.
I cannot but yield, though reservedly, to your solution.
I know for a fact and can prove that the construction I suggest is a regular one. Here are just a few examples:

1. 2. Esp.: tuum est, it is thy part, duty, custom, etc.; with inf.: haud tuom istuc est vereri te, Plaut. Stich. 5, 4, 36: tuomst, si quid praeter spem evenit, mihi ignoscere, Ter. And. 4, 1, 53.
Marcus Tullius Cicero, De Iure Civ. in Artem Redig. 2.3.16.1 (packhum.org)
Marcus Tullius Cicero, De Iure Civ. in Artem Redig. 4.9.1.1 (packhum.org)

I can't prove that the one you suggest doesn't occur anywhere (negative statements like that are hard to prove, and especially if you include medieval Latin and such, pretty much anything is possible) but I've never encountered it and I'm well-read in Latin. So if it ever occurs, it must at the very least be unusual.

Last edited: