New: Latin Text Editor: SCRIPTOR

• Thread starter Deleted member 13757
  • Start date

Lucius Aelius

Linguistics Hippie

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Using this in Windows 8, the shortcut for macrons does not seem to work.

Ovidulus

• Patronus

First, I have to say you have never seen a couple of Latin teachers more excited about something than my colleague and I are right now.

Second, we've run into a thing that I am not sure whether you're aware of yet or not:
'Di,' as in "Di imortales!" isn't being recognized as a form of deus. We haven't tested it on other words as of yet, but thought you should know anyway.

falmouth

Very impressed with SCRIPTOR.

I have a big favour to ask. I am trying to develop some concordancing software (in C#). I need a way to return a list of possible lemmas from any particular Latin word: e.g. 'AMABO' would return 'AMO', 'MALUM' would return both 'MALUS' and 'MALUM' (I am not particularly bothered about disambiguating the 'MALUM' although this would be helpful). It looks like SCRIPTOR has exactly what I need. I wonder whether you would be willing to share the relevant part of the source code and the dictionary?

falmouth

I can currently do this using the Perseus Hopper over the Internet but it is slow and unreliable. The only other thing was Whitaker's Words but I have found it difficult to use programmatically.

As a bonus..., I would be lemmatising quite a few chunks of latin text, so it would doubtless throw up some missing items to the dictionary which I would post back to you.

D

Deleted member 13757

Very impressed with SCRIPTOR.

I have a big favour to ask. I am trying to develop some concordancing software (in C#). I need a way to return a list of possible lemmas from any particular Latin word: e.g. 'AMABO' would return 'AMO', 'MALUM' would return both 'MALUS' and 'MALUM' (I am not particularly bothered about disambiguating the 'MALUM' although this would be helpful). It looks like SCRIPTOR has exactly what I need. I wonder whether you would be willing to share the relevant part of the source code and the dictionary?

Send me a private message to exchange email addresses. I will give you the dictionary engine.

Ovidulus

• Patronus

Not sure how much trouble it would be, but would it be possible to get a copy of this for Android things?

Ealdboc Aethelheall

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

After many months of use (and never encountering a single error :) ), I think I have spotted a minor mistake in the parsing engine. It recognises ieris and exieris as the second person singular passsive indicative future, rather than as the second person singular future perfect active indicative or second person singular present perfect conjunctive.

Claudilla

LCF I would give you a giant hug if you have this for Linux..... in the meantime I use Maori keyboard for macrons it works great as all you do is press alt + vowel (sadly no macron for y)

Claudilla

Have you tried using the Wine compatibility layer? (As you're a Linux user you probably have, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask :) ).
Oh please ask:) I've heard of it but never used it as I never really needed it before, but is it difficult? I'm not the most advanced user...though for the life of me I don't know why more people don't use it; Linux is free & fantastic

Ealdboc Aethelheall

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

No, not really. Most distros have it in their repositories; alternatively, you can download a binary from their website: http://www.winehq.org/download/.

Many applications install in roughly the same way as they would on Windows. I was sadly forced to go back to Windows due to compatibility issues (which may have been resolved by now - I just checked the Wine App Database and apparently Photoshop CS6 now works almost as well as it would on Windows), but before I did I would just click the Windows installer exe from KDE and often Wine would take care of the rest.

There is also PlayOnLinux (which uses Wine) and WineTricks (which is designed to resolve various potential installation problems for you).

Tomer

Hope you love using it and your LATIN improves as a result.
Download location is the same : Here. Unzip it to a FOLDER. (do not run from the zip). See system requirements above.
Ping me for any bugs, ideas etc...
Hey LCF,
This whole thing is utmost kind of you, but unfortuantely both aforementioned links (the above "here" and the one on your first post) don't seem to work for me.
It just leads me to an Amazon page, presenting an "XML file does not exist" error and the document tree.
Mind helping?

Mr. Stoic

Hey LCF,
This whole thing is utmost kind of you, but unfortuantely both aforementioned links (the above "here" and the one on your first post) don't seem to work for me.
It just leads me to an Amazon page, presenting an "XML file does not exist" error and the document tree.
Mind helping?

I am experiencing the same problem here, which sucks, because I was looking forward to trying out Scriptor myself. Please help us!

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

At first I thought it was maybe a program that would automatically change all medial s's to ſ's.

D

Deleted member 13757

It seems I did not pay my amazon bill. Thanks for putting the download up.

Leonardus

... Linux..... in the meantime I use Maori keyboard for macrons it works great as all you do is press alt + vowel (sadly no macron for y)
Linux (or better: X) has the compose-key. Have a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key (also see references #1 and #5 on that page). Ref #5 calls the compose key <Multi_key>.

For openSUSE the compose key is a key-combination: press and hold the <right Shift>, press <right Control>, release both. Follow this by _ y to get ȳ. Other vowels with macrons work with _ and -: <compose> _ a for ā or <compose> - a. <Compose> - y gets you ¥, as will <compose> = y.

For greek letters add a Greek keyboard (switch between keyboards with <Ctrl>-<Alt>+K on KDE). For example, <compose> ' ( α gets you ἅ.

<compose> f s getſ you ſ.

This seems not to work in Wine, although <compose> s s will get you a ß. Maybe it is an issue at my side, because I can copy and paste between Linux and Wine, but a pasted ū is shown as u in Wine.

Claudilla

okay I downloaded Scriptor it's in an rar format. Now do I open that up? or do I have Wine do it. I'm rather clueless as I've never used Wine before.