Nasty words

voxlarsi

I feel like I have to ask: Does the word butthole mean anything besides the obvious, considering at least two roads have carried that name?

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

There's a town near here called "Dumas" that an associate of mine pronounces "dumbass" :p

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

voxlarsi dixit:
I feel like I have to ask: Does the word butthole mean anything besides the obvious, considering at least two roads have carried that name?
According to the article, Butt Hole Road is believed to have been named after a communal water butt that was originally in the area.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

LOL, I especially like #88

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Re:

Matthaeus dixit:
The man who wrote the town's name on the first official document must have fallen asleep on the keyboard (yes, I know, that town was named long before keyboards).

voxlarsi

A lot of fun from names, indeed. Although, I don't understand why "Monkey's Eyebrow" and other names that obviously were just as funny when they were made as now, are on the list. Besides the many stupid names that obviously are fake.

Matthaeus dixit:
Hehe, 4 consecutive l-s in a single name? The welsh obviously do not like brevity...

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

There are also this street near Birmingham in England, and this village not too far away. Visitors to the village sometimes hope to find the Bell End Inn of urban legend but if it ever existed it has since been renamed and is now simply The Bell.

voxlarsi

Well, it seems like most with >-1 vote are fake. Like nr 293, 330 (at least it's not a single place), and I suspect 481. I merely plowed through the list now, but I assume there are plenty. But they probably don't get any votes.

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

voxlarsi dixit:
Well, it seems like most with >-1 vote are fake. Like nr 293, 330 (at least it's not a single place), and I suspect 481. I merely plowed through the list now, but I assume there are plenty. But they probably don't get any votes.
293 Football Hall of Fame, Indiana

Yes, it exists but is hardly a place name.

330 Napoleon, Waterloo, Wellington (in a row ) Missouri

It seems they do exist although Waterloo, sitting between Napoleon and Wellington, is too small to be named on the map.

481 this is a stupid list

I'll grant you that one. :p

voxlarsi

My point was merely to point out that the list probably isn't the most self-critical of all. If "this is a stupid list" can make it to the actual list, there are probably others as well. Also, there are plenty of names on the list without any specifications regarding location. But all things considered: an amusing list 8)

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

voxlarsi dixit:
Hehe, 4 consecutive l-s in a single name? The welsh obviously do not like brevity...
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch in Welsh actually means:

"The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave"

:banana:

But the holder of a world record for the longest name of a place is Krungthepmahanakonbowornratanakosinmahintarayudyayamahadiloponoparatanarajthaniburiromudomrajniwesmahasatarnamornpimarnavatarsatitsakattiyavisanukamphrasit (กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุทธยา มหาดิลกภพ นพรัตนราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์มหาสถาน อมรพิมานอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะวิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์)

krungthep mahanakhon
The land of angels, the great city of
amorn rattanakosin
immortality, various of devine gems,
mahintara yudthaya mahadilok pohp
the great angelic land unconquerable,
noparat rajathanee bureerom
land of nine noble gems, the royal city, the pleasant capital,
udomrajniwes mahasatarn
place of the grand royal palace,
amorn pimarn avaltarnsatit
forever land of angels and reincarnated spirits,
sakatattiya visanukram prasit
predestined and created by the highest devas.

which is actually the name of Bangkok (Krungthep) in Thai. (Apparently not the most modest of names). :banana:

A Web of Linguistic Fun

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

What about the United Townships of Dysart, Bruton, Clyde, Dudley, Eyre, Guilford, Harburn, Harcourt and Havelock in Ontario? They may sound as if it consists of nine separate townships, but all of them amalgamated into one municipality that happens to contain the names of all nine former townships. The name of the municipality is often condensed as Dysart et al.

Araneus

Umbraticus Lector

• Civis Illustris

Can Araneus or anyone work this one out, assuming everyone sees what I see, which isn't really meaningful?
Can't make much sense of that I'm afraid. Best bet would be he means "fitte" (vappa).