Mangled Celebrity Tattoos

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

To give common folk a moment of peace, let us limit this topic to celebrities only :)

Here is my contribution:

Danelle Lloyd and her complete mess of Latin translation "Quis attero mihi tantum planto mihi validus"

Attachments

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

What's a planto?

"Validus"... if the tattoo at least made some kind of sense, the masculine gender here would be very funny.

What language is that other tattoo in?

Ah, I found "planto": "I set".

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

I think (I think) it is supposed to say "Only God can judge me" (repeated twice) in Hebrew.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that this is actually an English phrase transliterated with Hebrew alphabet.

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Akela dixit:
I think (I think) it is supposed to say "Only God can judge me" (repeated twice) in Hebrew.

I saw it mentioned somewhere that this is actually an English phrase transliterated with Hebrew alphabet.
Blasphemy!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Akela dixit:

No, that's a separate tattoo she has running down her neck. A while back there was a brief flurry of excitement over a large tattoo that Glasgow Rangers' goalkeeper Allan McGregor had caused to be etched into his side. I recognised "planto" and "validus" immediately. The inspiration in both cases is Friedrich Nietzsche's "Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker."

Both celebreties appear to have been unwise enough to have relied on the Intertran online translator. In Mr. McGregor's case it seems he interpreted the original German as "what does not break me makes me stronger". Intertran turns this into "quis does non effrego mihi planto mihi validus". Either he or his tattooist then compounded this atrocity by dropping the "n" from "planto" transforming it into "plato". The surprising result is that Mr. McGregor, with one string of gibberish, has permanently linked (or should that be "inked"?) himself with two great philosophers.

Ms. Lloyd appears to have interpreted the verb "umbringen" more accurately as "to destroy". For some reason though, she seems to have disdained the negative, instead submitting the nonsensical "what destroys me only makes me stronger" to the Intertran booby trap.

When I was researching the McGregor affair I noticed some discussion of it on Pie and Bovril, a forum for Scottish football fans. I posted an analysis of the tattoo there under the nom de clavier of Tortamphagus. You can find it as post #17 here. A blurry image of the tattoo appears in post #6. Be warned that the site contains a fair amount of extremely robust language, as you might expect.

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

This is too precious! The Sun has a story featuring Ms. Lloyd and her classical tattoo. At the top right is a slideshow. Click through to the third entry for a closeup of the offending article. The caption is "Profound ... Dani's new Hebrew tattoo".

:hand:

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Welcome to the forum, Decimus Canus :)

Decimus Canus dixit:
No, that's a separate tattoo she has running down her neck.
That's the one I meant.

A comment from from the Sun article:
Actually it translates to, "I should not have used an internet translator for something permanently inked on my body". It means nothing in Latin.
Finally, a reader with some common sense :mrgreen:

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Don't be too optimistic - that comment was posted today, probably by one of us.

"To those who ducked out of Latin..."

hahaha....

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

Nikolaos dixit:
Don't be too optimistic - that comment was posted today, probably by one of us.
It is still encouraging.

While we are at it, I would be surprized if anyone with any decent knowledge of Latin reads the Sun regularly... except for maybe during the patches of winter depression :)

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Nikolaos dixit:
that comment was posted today, probably by one of us.
:oops:

Akela

sum

• Princeps Senatus

No kidding?

No "regular" readers with some common sense on the Sun webpage then :mrgreen:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

A bit off the topic, but I was looking for more photos of garbled celebrity tattoos and found this page. Pretty scary... The first girl appears to have wanted luctor et emergo, and ended up with lector et emergo. And that is one of the better ones. Just at a rough guess, I would say that 20% of them are wrong...

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Good thing that Google Translate did not come out with Latin translation capabilities, or else there would be more incorrect translations.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I wonder if we should have a thread with pictures of tattoos from mangled translations, which Akela could mark, so the first hit on a google search for Latin tattoo translation was that thread.

The celebrity pictures are probably fair game, but I guess we would have to ask permission from the victims for the others...

EricDi

• Patronus

Decimus Canus dixit:
This is too precious! The Sun has a story featuring Ms. Lloyd and her classical tattoo. At the top right is a slideshow. Click through to the third entry for a closeup of the offending article. The caption is "Profound ... Dani's new Hebrew tattoo".
What tattoo?

Sorry couldn't resist. ;) What a kick!

Atavist

Off topic, perhaps, but I can verify that the Hebrew on her neck is a transliteration, and a poor one based on the little I can see. It says only GOAD, or perhaps GOUD, can "J"... In the word "can," the nun, which produces the "N" sound, has a final form when it appears at the end of the word, and that's not it. The last word that is meant to say "judge" uses the modern workaround for the fact that there is no "J" sound in Hebrew. All of the biblical names we know that begin with "J" actually begin with a "Y" sound in Hebrew. Joseph, for example, is actually pronounced Yosef. In modern Hebrew they use the letter that makes the "G" sound (gimel), and put an apostrophe next to it when they want to be Western.
Also; for what it's worth, to an observant Jew, tattooing Hebrew on anyone represents a terrible desecration of both the holy language and the body created by G-d.

ב'שלום

Ari

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

I guess she failed in about as many ways as she possibly could, then.

Atavist dixit:
Also; for what it's worth, to an observant Jew, tattooing Hebrew on anyone represents a terrible desecration of both the holy language and the body created by G-d.
Hm, so are you Jewish, or a Christian who studies Hebrew? Dropping the O as you have makes me think that it's the former.

I've seen a number of people requesting Hebrew translations online for tattoos. Most actual scholars of Hebrew refuse to translate, meaning that they usually get stuck with machine translations. It serves their foolishness quite well :p

Batavus_II

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Atavist dixit:
In the word "can," the nun, which produces the "N" sound, has a final form when it appears at the end of the word, and that's not it.
I'm reading 'wnly gwd qn j-.
Isn't it just that the final nun's vertical stroke is a little on the short side here?