Life is to live

chrisb

Hi,
English to Latin of the phrase ;
Life is to live

I am looking at some gift ideas for a significant other and looking at phrases that have meaning to us.
This is a phrase to essentially sum up that life is for living, experiencing and doing things, not siting idly by. Along a similar idea as we work to life not live to work.

From reading on a few of the Latin reference sites http://latindictionary.wikidot.com/, http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ etc. looking at existing phrases
The following seemed to capture the meaning, vitae est vives

Grateful for any advice or contribution.

Thanks

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Well, "vitae est vives" doesn't make much sense in Latin.
A literal translation of what you are looking for is "vita est vivere", but I'm not sure if that's the most idiomatic translation into Latin. You should wait for some further discussion.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A literal translation of what you are looking for is "vita est vivere", but I'm not sure if that's the most idiomatic translation into Latin. You should wait for some further discussion.
That's the first translation that comes to mind. However, after reading chrisb's post, I'm a bit uncertain as to whether "life is to live" here means "life is the action/fact of living" (the more natural interpretation when one sees the sentence alone, and which correctly translates to vita est vivere) or "life is [for us] to live/life is meant to be lived/life is for living" (which would translate differently).
we work to life not live to work.
Do you mean "we work to live, we don't live to work"?

chrisb

Thank You for the responses,
Yes pacifica there's a typo there it should read we work to live

I also think you have captured well what I was aiming to say with
life is [for us] to live/life is meant to be lived/life is for living" (which would translate differently).

Chris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Or maybe, to put the emphasis on the purpose: vivenda vita est.

"We work to live, we don't live to work" = ad vivendum laboramus, non ad laborandum vivimus.