Latin in early 16th century Hungary

Platterus

Hello

I would be very grateful for help in making sense of short passage of Latin from a grant of arms dated 1622. The arms were granted by Ferdinand II, King of Hungary, etc., etc, and the Holy Roman Emperor, to a doctor of medicine practising in the Royal Free City of Sopron. This passage comes at the end of the section describing the doctor's achievements and his worthiness to receive the honour of a coat of arms.

The passage that is puzzling me starts, 'in Hungariam' and ends 'serviviste'. I can see that there is a mention of the siege of Buda and the Army of the Emperor (Excercitus Imperialis), and I am particularly eager to fully understand the connection between the two.

This ancestor of mine received his doctorate in medicine in 1598, so could have served at the three failed sieges of Buda in 1598, 1602 and 1603. The text could also be referring to the catastrophic siege of 1541, when 20,000 men of the forces of the Holy Roman Emperor were killed or drowned.

Many thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2023-01-30 110404.png

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I make it:
in Hungariam siquidem temet conferendo opera tua Medica bis in obsidione Budensi antecessorum ? ? ? Hungarorum Regum Exercitui Imperiali non minus fideliter quam utiliter seruiuisti
struggling to make out the three words marked by question marks.

He would have been very old in 1598 if he had served in 1541, so I am guessing it was a later siege.

Platterus

Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to give up hope.

I think the contracted words should be expanded to, 'nostrorum Divorum condam'. A google search brings up a couple of hits for the genitive noun phrase 'antecessorum nostrorum Divorum condam (or quondam) Hungariae Regum', and I also found a couple of instances of 'Divi condam (or quondam) Hungariae Reges'.

Does this noun phrase 'possess' the siege or the imperial army?

I agree in entirely that this doctor could not have served at the siege of 1541. Somebody has, however, postulated that the service he provided has been compared to the experience of those at the earlier siege. I have spent a lot of time analysing (parsing) the sentence, and cannot see any sign of a comparison being drawn.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

since you in betaking your work in Hungary twice in the siege of Buda of our blessed ancestors, formerly of the kingdom of the Hungarians, you served the Imperial Army no less faithfully than usefully: and after this through diverse...