Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Another one I find cool is the verb بَسْمَلَ which means, ’to say بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم’
WOW! I was familiar with تكبير (and I like it) but not with that one!

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I've always liked Portuguese "pois". It's used a lot, notably in "pois é", that depending on the context can be a bit equivalent to English "uh uh" (I can't remember the name of this kind of words that are used to let the person you're speaking with know that you're listening. They're phatic words, but I think there's a more precise term)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In Modern Arabic, the word هاتف (hātif) means a phone. But one of its earlier meanings is "voice" and, according to what I read, especially a disembodied voice, as when jinn whisper to you in the desert.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I just found out about the etymology of Latin ’nihil’, from *ne-hilum, hilum being defined in my textbook as the trace on a bean of the stem that secures it to its pod.
It reminded me of Arabic فتيل which is the minute line in the groove of a date pit and is used in the Qur’an (and in later Arabic, in various phrases) to denote something negligible or insignificant.

قُلْ مَتَاعُ الدُّنْيَا قَلِيلٌ وَالْآخِرَ‌ةُ خَيْرٌ‌ لِّمَنِ اتَّقَىٰ وَلَا تُظْلَمُونَ فَتِيلًا _ 4:77
Say, The enjoyment of this world is little, and the Hereafter is better for he who fears Allah. And injustice will not be done to you, [even] as much as a thread [inside a date seed] _ 4:77

Similarly when something ’لا يجدي فتيلا’ it means it is of no use or no interest at all.

I thought the botanical references were interesting.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

As you may know, I tend to like Arabic factitive verbs. Here's a particularly awesome one: سوّف, (sawwafa), "to put off, postpone, delay, procrastinate". It's based on the particle سوّف (sawfa), which is put in front of a verb to form the future tense. Isn't this utterly amazing?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The second usage mentioned in definition 2 is interesting! Literally "to launch a word at".
The Wiki entry is a bit confusing though, it actually means 'to give the name X to Y'. For example أُطلِقَ على هذا المركب اسم الحمض النووي= this compound has been named 'nucleic acid'.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The etymology of "pay" is interesting:

"Middle English (in the sense ‘pacify’): from Old French paie (noun), payer (verb), from Latin pacare ‘appease’, from pax, pac- ‘peace’. The notion of ‘payment’ arose from the sense of ‘pacifying’ a creditor."

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

especially definition 6 of the latter.
Not a verb you'd need to use that frequently I guess, but it's nice to have it at your disposal lol

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Not a verb you'd need to use that frequently I guess, but it's nice to have it at your disposal lol
You would be surprised :D this notion comes up a lot in Islamic history. The spread of Islam to Persia and other non Arabic-speaking peoples led to increasingly embarrassing mispronunciations of the Holy Qur'an, to the point of altering the meaning of some verses, which is what triggered its second compilation, according to the traditional account. The accusation of تلحين against 'Persians' (the equivalent of Barbarians to the Romans) is pretty common in texts describing these events.

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

You would be surprised :D this notion comes up a lot in Islamic history. The spread of Islam to Persia and other non Arabic-speaking peoples led to increasingly embarrassing mispronunciations of the Holy Qur'an, to the point of altering the meaning of some verses, which is what triggered its second compilation, according to the traditional account. The accusation of تلحين against 'Persians' (there equivalent of Barbarians to the Romans) is pretty common in texts describing these events.
Fascinating, I didn't think of the possible religious ramifications but it makes sense. Still funny though :D

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The way the word "caption" evolved from "capture" to its current meaning in interesting:

"Late Middle English (in the sense ‘seizing, capture’): from Latin captio(n-), from capere ‘take, seize’. Early senses ‘arrest’ and ‘warrant for arrest’ gave rise to ‘statement of where, when, and by whose authority a warrant was issued’ (late 17th century): this was usually appended to a legal document, hence the sense ‘heading or accompanying wording’ (late 18th century)."