Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Reminds me of the primordial monster Rahab, which is a different word.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Arabic and German are awesome. And even sound a bit alike (harsh and guttural), as I've said before.
I don't think they sound anything alike. To me, German sounds like a dialect of English I can't quite understand.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

People compare Arabic and German a lot. To many non-natives, the existence of various guttural sounds probably stands out. Obviously, if you survey the phonetic inventories in depth, you’d find many differences, but I know what she meant.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

People compare Arabic and German a lot. To many non-natives, the existence of various guttural sounds probably stands out. Obviously, if you survey the phonetic inventories in depth, you’d find many differences, but I know what she meant.
Yeah, I know, but I don't share that impression.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I mean, me neither :D

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

It looks like IE borrowed it to me and some scholars. AA *čaraw has been reconstructed.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Shelley uses the term "the to-come" in a couple of his poems, meaning that which is to come, the future. Apparently, he isn't the only one (the OED has a few citations from other authors) but it's in his work that I first encountered the expression a few days ago. I wonder if it's a calque from French "l'avenir" (which is literally "the to-come", with "to-come" long fused into one word) or if it evolved independently.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I guess it could also have been calqued on Latin venturum.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Only dipshit hipsters like me use this one, e.g.:
'You say you only tipped 15%? That's bad joss, big guy.'

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

'Soil', as a noun meaning 'earth', is etymologically unrelated to the verb meaning 'to get dirty'. No, really. And the etymology of the latter may surprise you.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

'Soil', as a noun meaning 'earth', is etymologically unrelated to the verb meaning 'to get dirty'. No, really. And the etymology of the latter may surprise you.
I'm most likely being obtuse, but I don't understand...I thought they were ultimately from the same root, although the noun was influenced by another.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

I realise it isn't the easiest thing in the world to write sentences suitable for language learners, but come on. This isn't likely to make someone think, 'Wow! Now I've got to apply myself, as I just can't wait to have acquire the linguistic resources to hold my own against these sparkling swahiliphone wits.'