H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

What’s interesting about marhaban?

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

At a guess, the etymology, but I'm sure Pacifica will be along soon enough to tell you what she intended.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

At a guess, the etymology, but I'm sure Pacifica will be along soon enough to tell you what she intended.
Yes, the etymology. The word for "welcome" is based on a root with the idea of wideness, which seems fitting: think about welcoming someone with arms wide open.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

I thought it was more or less clearly referring to welcoming the guest into one’s own spacious house, considering the culture.

Iáson

Cívis Illústris

• Civis Illustris

aut iānuā patente?

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

What if your house isn't spacious? Poor people can be hospitable too.
The space for strangers in tiny Irish cottages was a place by the hearth to bed down for the night.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

In Arabic, a watch (timepiece) is an hour.
The German word for clock is Uhr. The normal word for 'hour' in German is Stunde, but Uhr is a loanword from Latin in this sense. The way to ask what time it is in German is wie viel Uhr ist es?, which presumably inspired the comic interlude in Casablanca.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Arabic and German are awesome. And even sound a bit alike (harsh and guttural), as I've said before.

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Yes, the etymology. The word for "welcome" is based on a root with the idea of wideness, which seems fitting: think about welcoming someone with arms wide open.
I wonder if this is also the origin of the name Rahab, the woman of Jericho who helped the Hebrews sneak in.

Issacus Divus

H₃rḗǵs h₁n̥dʰéri diwsú

• Civis Illustris

Yes.