Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Serenus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

A bit odd how a single word means both 'pinky' (a single finger) as well as the distance from the thumb to the pinky (a "span"), the latter of which is much larger...
The Wiki entry is a bit confusing though, it actually means 'to give the name X to Y'. For example أُطلِقَ على هذا المركب اسم الحمض النووي= this compound has been named 'nucleic acid'.
Thank you, I just fixed the entry, using your example.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Been slogging through Isaiah 29, & I happened upon this as a cognate listed in Brown-Driver-Briggs for Hebrew חלם. Maybe, Arabica, you've already seen't it.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Can't help wondering about the mode of transferrence from 1 > 2. Is it a purely physical thing, i.e. "nocturnal emission"? Or could it be like 'ecstatic vision > ecstasy > [result of ecstasy]'?

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

jujube < Lat. zizyphum < Gr. ζίζυφον
Makes me think of L iēiūnus, which if I remember is supposed to be < IE *(H)yeǵ- 'treat with ritual awe/keep away from something out of awe' (for semantics, cf. L profanus), cognate with G ἅζομαι, S यजुस् yajus 'sacrifice'.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

More striking is G σέβομαι & S tyaj- 'abandon'; same idea, different root.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

I came across another Arabic cognate that seemed useful for comparative study. The Hebrew of Isaiah 5:7 puns:
וַיְקַו לְמִשְׁפָּט וְהִנֵּה מִשְׂפָּח (wayqaw ləmīṡpāṭ wəhīnnê mīśpāḥ) 'He looked for justice but, behold!, bloodshed)

Here is the wiki entry.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Peut-êtrement"

That's actually a mistake in a Dutch FB friend's effort to talk to me in French. It could have gone on the odd-wording thread, but I find the coinage rather interesting. (It's as if you said... "maybely?" .... in English.)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Look at all the first three (Arabic) entries: the adverb, the noun, and the verb:

By the way, there's a French verb derived from that stuff, "kiffer", which is slang for "to love" or "like/enjoy (a lot)".