Interesting Words (moved from Games)

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Reminds me of Baudelaire's feeling that, if one doesn't have mastery of the rhymes of his language, he doesn't have the proper tools to write true verse (and I thought he had some analogy about a musician who only knows 3/4ths of the scale). Rather the opposite of Milton who declaims rhyme as nothing but the vulgar contrivance of drunken monks & goliards (but this he justifies by reference to the Greek & Latin poets, which is pure snobbery & pedantry).

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Not to mention a big dose of Puritanism.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

Robert Graves, whose "monstrous" (T.S. Eliot's word) tome The White Goddess I've been slogging through recently, wrote a fiction about the puritanical Mr. Milton, in which he is portrayed as a sullen & petulant clown who fails utterly to satisfy his young wife. One wonders whether ol' Graves maybe had a bone to pick, because his favorite verses (those of John Skelton) were among the few things Milton considered justified in being banned forever from print.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I wouldn't be surprised. Someone saw fit to put in a spoof magazine in NI an advertisement for a course entitled, Tantric Sex for Presbyterians. The only ones who didn't get the joke were the people who didn't understand the Puritan element in Ulster Protestantism.

E

Etaoin Shrdlu

Skirlie is a Scottish dish, made from oatmeal fried with fat, onions and seasonings. The "skirl" indicates the noise made by the frying ingredients. Similar to white pudding, which has similar ingredients but is boiled in a tripe skin, it is served as a side-dish with potatoes, or used as a stuffing for chicken or other fowl. It is also a common side dish to accompany mince and tatties or Christmas dinner, especially in the northeast of Scotland. Suet, lard, beef dripping or butter are used. The addition of salt at the cooking stage is crucial, but a bit less than used to be added as salt is to be found in so many other foods.

From Wiki. I hope @Terry S. can tell us more. To quote Winston Smith in 1984, I understand how; I do not understand why.

Terry S.

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I haven't got a clue about that. Never heard of it. The NE is a world apart inhabited by strange hominids.

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

Verbum linguæ Braſilicæ.

mba'easyborerekoara - noſocomus, a (< qui/quæ ægros tuetur)

mba'easy - morbus
-bor(a)- - ille qui, illa quæ, illud quod

= mba'easybora - æger, a (< ille qui ægrotat, illa quæ ægrotat, illud quod ægrotat)

-erekoara - qui/quæ aliquem/aliquod tuetur, curat

Last edited:

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

Verbum linguæ Braſilicæ.

kûarasy - sol

kó + 'ara + sy = sy "mater", "origo"; 'ara "dies", "tempus", "mundus"; kó "hic, haec, hoc"

hujus diei origo

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

Verbum Braſilicum.

nhe'engerekoara - 1) interpres; 2) nuntius.

nhe'enga - 1) verbum; 2) lingua;
erekoara - qui curat, custodit.

Is/ea qui/quae verba (vel linguam) curat.