Idioms

truks

• Patronus

Which reminds me of a similar expression I came across in the dictionary yesterday: animam (or vitam) abicere = to give up (this) life.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Remigio veloque: with oars and with sail = by all possible means. (Seen in Plautus, Asin. 160)

It reminds me manibus pedibusque: with hands and feet = with all one's might.

We have something similar in French; "faire des pieds et des mains pour..." (lit. "to do with feet and hands to..."), that is to do all you can to succeed in something (often to succeed in making someone make what you ask them, obtaining something from them...).

And that feet story reminds me of another expression with feet: in pedes se dare or pedibus se dare: to give oneself into feet or "to feet" = to run away, take one's heels.

D

Deleted member 13757

de lana caprina rixari
in harena aedificare
cicatricem refricare
eodem poculo bibere
prudens in flammam manum mittere

in opere Erasmi

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

De fumo in flammam (+ some verb, depending on context): from smoke into fire = saying that from a bad situation someone comes into a worse one.

Read in Ammianus, Lib. XXVIII, 1.26.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Supersede istis rebus: very literally "sit on top of those things (of yours)", more figuratively "desist from those things" = stop that, stop saying stupid things or sim.

Plautus, Epid., 39.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Which comedy are you on now, PP?

Bestiola

Nequissima

• Civis Illustris

• Sacerdos Isidis

contrahere vela - to retreat

(Cicero, Ad Atticum)

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Haec puppis pereundast: this ship is to be destroyed = "the ship" = "I"; I'm undone/dead soon, it will turn bad for me...

Plautus.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Animo alicui male esse: (impersonal) to be bad to the spirit to someone = said when someone feels about to faint. As for ex. animo male est (mihi): it is bad to the spirit (to me) = I feel about to faint.

Plaut. Epid. 204 (and other places).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Plaustrum percellere: to knock the cart down = to ruin everything, "to upset the apple-cart".

Ibidem, 592.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Tragulam inicere in aliquem: to throw a spear ("spear fitted with a throwing-strap, used as a hunting or military weapon") at someone = to play a bad trick on someone. You can also say it with pilum, "javelin" instead of tragulam.

Still from Plautus (like those above: if I don't mention the author, in general just consider it's from the same one I last mentioned).

Line 690.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

It would be helpful if you also mentioned the play. Epidicus, I presume?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

ok

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Tangere (you can insert an abl., for ex.a sum of money) aliquem: to touch someone by/with regards to... = to strip someone of.../to do someone out of...

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Seems like that's a comedy replete with idioms.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

There were a few ones, yes - finished!

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Congratulations. What's next on your list?