Idioms

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Alicui vitam reliquam facere or aliquem reliquum facere: to make life remaining to someone/to make someone remaining = to leave someone alive.

I read the first one in Cicero, ad Atticum, book3, 8.2.

It can also be said of things other than life: aliquid reliquum facere = to leave something, to let it remain.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Loreolam in mustaceo quaerere: to look for a laurel branch in a "cake made with must and baked on laurel leaves" = to look for fame where it is most easily found.

Found in Cicero, Ad Atticum, book 5, 20.4

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

E re nata: from the born thing/situation = on the spur of the moment.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Lupus in fabula/sermone: the wolf in the conversation = something you say when you were talking about someone/something and it comes. "Talk of the devil and he's sure to appear".

We've got a similar thing in French: quand on parle du loup (on en voit la queue) = when you talk of the wolf (you see his tail). A thing you say when you're talking of someone and just one second later they turn up or such things.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Morem gerere alicui: to carry on the conduct to someone = to behave in accordance with someone's wishes.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

in other words, to humor him/her

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I didn't know that verb. Strange. You'd asked me to guess what "to humor someone" meant, I'd have said it probably meant to make fun of someone.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Culcitam gladium facere: to make the sword a cushion (like to lie down on one's sword) = to kill oneself.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

talking about humoring ... there's also the verb morigerari

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Interesting. Etymologically descending in straight line from morem gerere, it seems.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

yupp

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Furcilla aliquem extrudere: to expell someone with a pitchfork = well, seems like virtually the same expression exists in English: to pitchfork someone out, drive them out brutally.

Aurifex

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

well, seems like virtually the same expression exists in English: to pitchfork someone out, drive them out brutally.
I've never heard anyone use "pitchfork" as a verb in this way. I suspect it is rather dated now.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Possible, that's what's written in the OLD, which dates from 1968.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Clipeum post vulnera sumere: to take the shield after the wound = to do something when the harm is already done, while you should rather have done something to prevent it before it happened. "To lock the door after the horse is stolen".

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Qui asinum non potest, stratum caedit: he who can't beat the donkey, beats the saddle = one always finds a scapegoat.

Colubra restem non parit: a snake doesn't give birth to a rope = "like father, like son" or sim.

Manus manum lavat: the hand washes the hand = one good turn deserves another.

In Petronius.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

navigare in portu, to be in safety, to be safe
Ter. And III, 1 , 22

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

In alio peduclum videre, in se ricinum non videre: to see the louse on another, not to see the tick on oneself = to see (and criticize) others' flaws but not one's own.

Similar to Luke, 6:41: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" Quid autem vides festucam in oculo fratris tui, trabem autem quae in oculo tuo est non consideras?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

fallacia alia aliam trudit, one lie begets another
Ter. And IV, 4, 39

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Animam ebullire: to spout out (one's) soul = to give up the ghost, to die.

Petronius.