How to get the Oxford Latin Dictionary

Probably the worse marketing campaign ever but after 4 months of searching I finally found a digital version of the Oxford Latin Dictionary. You can't even buy it directly from the publisher. They have a version for $300 at Logos.com. You can also get a free pdf scan at Archive.org but it does take about 1 minute to flip through the pages before you find the entry you want.

The digital version is excellent and you can copy and paste from it. The dictionary itself is superb, although the examples are not translated, still each sense of the worse is illustrated with roughly 5 examples and the exact sentence is almost always found on PHI for more context. That is not something true of L&S. I rarely could find the actual sentences that L&S cited on PHI.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yes, it's quite a great gem. It's been linked to on this board before by Godmy, I think.

Devenius Dulenius

Civis

• Civis

Now if only some homo dives would grant me the $300... ;)

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I don't know what the relationship is between OUP and logos.com, or even if there is one. The latter appears to be a religious software provider. It could well be that this is a pirated version. Caveat emptor! As far as I know, the original digital version is only available to institutions.

Devenius Dulenius

Civis

• Civis

Logos is a legitimate source. They have digital editions of all of the Perseus Latin authors, fully authorized. I have the whole set, which also includes the Greek authors. At one time, the whole set (some 200+ titles!) was available for free to Logos users. (The basic app package is also free. It's the one I use.) So if the OLD is available on Logos, it's legitimate.

plus i've now been using the OLD gratias logos for about a week now and I am even more impressed with it than at first. I have now reasoned that if you want to master Latin vocabulary then learn the basic morphemes. They keep using the same small set of morphemes over and over again, combining and recombining them. The OLD makes this very easy because they have each morpheme that a word is composed of written down in very precise detail. They have done a very good job tracing these morphemes back to their Indo European roots and the software hyperlinks all these roots so that you can easily track them down.

@Godmy do you mean: 'I wished someone has told me so that I could have bought this software on Logos years ago' or do you mean 'It's too much money I wish someone would share it with me now so that I don't have to pay'. If the latter than I think I can help you out. Liceat mihi scire.

Last edited: