quod latus mundi nebulae malusque
Iuppiter urget,

pone sub curru nimium propinqui
solis, in terra domibus negata:
dulce ridentem Lalagen amabo,
dulce loquentem.

Put me in unfruitful fields where no tree get refreshed by summer breeze,
??? fog and bad Iuppiter (cloudy sky) presses down,

put me under chariot of sun that is too close, on the earth where one can not live:
I will (still) love Lalages that is smiling and talking sweetly.

That I was able to put together. First I wonder what is the side of the world and what is the meaning of "quod" in this case. It seems strange to me that first talks about hot and dry area and then jumps to wet weather and there is "quod" in between that usually connects parts of the sentence.

At the other case I am wondering how "nego" works in passive. Terra negata must mean an earth to which something is denied. But here comes ablative. Is that ablative of respect? I find this as a very strange construction. Do you have any comment on that?

Thanks!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

First I wonder what is the side of the world and what is the meaning of "quod" in this case.
Quod latus mundi is a case of attraction of the antecedent into the relative clause. Here it's more or less equivalent to in latere mundi quod... = "on the side (region) of the world that..."
that first talks about hot and dry area
No, it talks about an area where it's never summer.
Terra negata must mean an earth to which something is denied.
No, it means a land that is denied to something.
But here comes ablative. Is that ablative of respect?
Domibus is dative. The land is denied to habitations.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Quod latus mundi is a case of attraction of the antecedent into the relative clause. Here it's more or less equivalent to in latere mundi quod... = "on the side (region) of the world that..."
I still don't get it really. So then quod is reffered to latus and is in Accusative? Does the text says: Put me on on the side of the world, that fog and bad weather presses down. So the fog presses down the mentioned side of the world and this side of the world was described in previous two verses, so it is a place where there is no summer?