• Censor

• Patronus

abeat in malam rem

:) ?

Last edited:

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

I'm pretty sure that Latin, like English, is perfectly capable of accosting other languages in dark alleys and mugging them for vocabulary.

There is the Third Declension, after all.

potato. potatonis
sandwich. sandwichis

What I found really annoying is having philosophi lapis in the singular. The most basic research into history would show that it's lapis philosophorum.

kev67

Civis

• Civis

Apud Tamisem, occidens L milia passuum a Londinio
I'm pretty sure that Latin, like English, is perfectly capable of accosting other languages in dark alleys and mugging them for vocabulary.

There is the Third Declension, after all.

potato. potatonis
sandwich. sandwichis

What I found really annoying is having philosophi lapis in the singular. The most basic research into history would show that it's lapis philosophorum.
Peter Needham (translator of this book) translated potatoes as tubera solani. I suppose it is a weakness in English that you cannot tell from hearing whether it was one philosopher's stone or more than one philosophers'.

Rufus Coppertop

Civis

• Civis

Peter Needham (translator of this book) translated potatoes as tubera solani. I suppose it is a weakness in English that you cannot tell from hearing whether it was one philosopher's stone or more than one philosophers'.
I knew it was philosophorum way before I could ever read Latin. To me it seems pretty basic. The info is out there and basic research would have shown it. Still.............he did a thoroughly readable and enjoyable job in most respects.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't think English is the language of choice to base a neo-Latin word on if the word isn't originally English.

kev67

Civis

• Civis

Apud Tamisem, occidens L milia passuum a Londinio
I knew it was philosophorum way before I could ever read Latin. To me it seems pretty basic. The info is out there and basic research would have shown it. Still.............he did a thoroughly readable and enjoyable job in most respects.
Yes, but J. K. Rowling's title was Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. It was her mistake. Peter Needham could not take it upon himself to correct the author's mistake.