Getting back into German - recommendations requested

Nicolavs Iacobvs

• Patronus

Hi,

Having done quite well with German at school, I’ve since regressed to somewhere between hopeless and basic
Can anybody recommend a distance-learning product/package? Ideally one that allows me to dip into learning material whenever I have a few spare minutes, and regular mini-tests to keep me on my toes.
Many thanks, Nick

NicolasOresme

Magistrula has an assortment of Latin games and exercises, including concepts that goes far beyond duolingo's offerings.

NicolasOresme

Whoops, I entirely blanked on the purpose of this thread, which is why I posted the Magistrula link. But the original duolingo suggestion actually was for German.

Youtube is not to be underestimated; tons and tons of German resources there. My favorite recently are the interviews with some of the few remaining speakers of the Texas German dialect, which are remarkably easy to follow, at least for this limited German speaker.

Noctua

Hi :)

TheGerman broadcasting service Deutsche Welle https://learngerman.dw.com/en/learn-german/s-9528 also offers a free online course.

In "my" foreign languages I also find it nice to just read or watch something that is of interest to me, not just follow a language course. For this, I'd recommend the ARD Mediathek, and in particular "Die Sendung mit der Maus". :) This programme includes little videos about a variety of topics that are explained for kids, in easy language. For example, about wild bees, about how clothespins are made, etc. Many (or all) of them are subtitled. These videos are called "Sachgeschichten". Just fun to watch, I think.

I hope this helps. :)