For Pacifica - random quotes on Arabic and Qur'an

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Ah, well. I take it I at least got the literal translation right?
I can’t think of any other reading. علم as flag would make even less sense... so I’d favor the hypothesis of a textual reference.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

كهيعص حم عسق، انصرنا فإنك خير الناصرين، وافتح لنا فإنك خير الفاتحين، واغفر لنا فإنك خير الغافرين، وارحمنا فإنك خير الراحمين، وارزقنا فإنك خير الرازقين، واهدنا ونجنا من القوم الظالمين، وهب لنا ريحا طيبة كما هي في علمك، انشرها علينا من خزائن رحمتك، واحملنا بها حمل الكرامة مع السلامة والعافية في الدين والدنيا والآخرة، إنك على كل شيء قدير​

"And bear us by means of it (i.e. the good wind) with the bearing of miracles." That's another thing I'm not sure how to interpret. "To bear with the bearing of X" would usually mean "to bear like X, to bear in the same way as X bears" but I don't know if that works here. Maybe the idea is like "bear us miraculously"? Or "bear us while at the same time granting us miracles"?
I think the idea is something like ’carry us [in the way that your generosity allows carrying], i.e. carry us generously. I take it as a complement of manner of sorts.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Thanks!

كهيعص حم عسق، انصرنا فإنك خير الناصرين، وافتح لنا فإنك خير الفاتحين، واغفر لنا فإنك خير الغافرين، وارحمنا فإنك خير الراحمين، وارزقنا فإنك خير الرازقين، واهدنا ونجنا من القوم الظالمين، وهب لنا ريحا طيبة كما هي في علمك، انشرها علينا من خزائن رحمتك، واحملنا بها حمل الكرامة مع السلامة والعافية في الدين والدنيا والآخرة، إنك على كل شيء قدير
I'm also not entirely sure I correctly get the idea of that. A fairly literal translation is "with health and vitality in religion and in this world and in the next". Does that mean basically "in such a way that we may enjoy health and vitality/life in religion and in this world and in the next"?

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

Because we are now using Duolingo in our language courses in my school, I've been inspired to refresh my Arabic with it. I have forgotten so much in six years, especially vocabulary.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I take it now you know again how to say that Omar has an amazing garage. :D

Clemens

Aedilis

• Aedilis

I take it now you know again how to say that Omar has an amazing garage. :D
Haha I haven’t encountered that one yet. I took the placement quiz and started where it put me. I’m not sure but I think the voice actors are Lebanese.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Haha I haven’t encountered that one yet.
I don't remember if it has that exact phrase, but "X has an [adjective] garage" occurs a few times, and "amazing" and "Omar" come up often, so...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The oddest (unless I'm missing some obscure reference) sentence I remember is about someone (maybe Omar) having an Omani door.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

The ambiguity in 29:30 to 29:50... is untranslatable, lol.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

"Note that this book has been designed so that you get used to reading in Arabic, by turning the pages from left to right. Therefore, the first story begins at the back of the book. The English introduction starts at the front of the book."

Lol, I guess that makes sense...

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Thanks!

كهيعص حم عسق، انصرنا فإنك خير الناصرين، وافتح لنا فإنك خير الفاتحين، واغفر لنا فإنك خير الغافرين، وارحمنا فإنك خير الراحمين، وارزقنا فإنك خير الرازقين، واهدنا ونجنا من القوم الظالمين، وهب لنا ريحا طيبة كما هي في علمك، انشرها علينا من خزائن رحمتك، واحملنا بها حمل الكرامة مع السلامة والعافية في الدين والدنيا والآخرة، إنك على كل شيء قدير
I'm also not entirely sure I correctly get the idea of that. A fairly literal translation is "with health and vitality in religion and in this world and in the next". Does that mean basically "in such a way that we may enjoy health and vitality/life in religion and in this world and in the next"?
Yes. Similar to the phrase مع السلامة used to greet someone leaving, only much more elaborate.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

The ambiguity in 29:30 to 29:50... is untranslatable, lol.

That's why in dialects pronouns are almost always used with the second and feminine 3rd persons.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes. Similar to the phrase مع السلامة used to greet someone leaving, only much more elaborate.
Thanks!

Kaf Ha Ya ʿAin Ṣad, Ḥa Mim, ʿAin Sin Qaf. Adiuva nos, nam tu optimus adiuvantium es; da nobis victoriam, nam tu optimus victoriam dantium es; ignosce nobis, nam tu optimus ignoscentium es; miserare nos, nam tu optimus miserantium es; sustenta nos, nam tu optimus sustentantium es; dirige nos et a populo iniquo conserva; dona nos vento secundo qualis in scientia tua est: hunc ex thesauris tuae misericordiae sumptum super nos explica, ac per eum nos fer benigne, ut et in religione et in hoc saeculo et in futuro valeamus ac vigeamus; tu omnipotens es.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

واطمس على وجوه أعدائنا، وامسخهم على مكانتهم، فلا يستطيعون المضي ولا المجيء إلينا

I'm not sure how to interpret that last part. "Then they will not be able to go away or to come to us"? It's clearly inspired by 36:67 but not exactly the same.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

واطمس على وجوه أعدائنا، وامسخهم على مكانتهم، فلا يستطيعون المضي ولا المجيء إلينا

I'm not sure how to interpret that last part. "Then they will not be able to go away or to come to us"? It's clearly inspired by 36:67 but not exactly the same.
Yes that's my reading as well. Although I would interpret ف here as 'so that'.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Yes that's my reading as well.
What does it mean beyond the literal meaning? That enemies shouldn't be able to escape from "us" or come to "us" to attack "us"?
Although I would interpret ف here as 'so that'.
That occurred to me (because it seemed to flow naturally from the context) but I thought that would require the subjunctive. However, maybe I was extrapolating a non-existent rule from a related but different usage: when ف follows a negative command as in "don't do that lest something happen".

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

What does it mean beyond the literal meaning? That enemies shouldn't be able to escape from "us" or come to "us" to attack "us"?
As it is based on a Qur'anic motif, I think any specific meaning may have been sacrificed to the form - as long as it sounds nice. I doubt it's really about enemies literally being unable to go past them or come to them, it's probably much more general, i.e. enemies being neutralized.

That occurred to me (because it seemed to flow naturally from the context) but I thought that would require the subjunctive. However, maybe I was extrapolating a non-existent rule from a related but different usage: when ف follows a negative command as in "don't do that lest something happen".
I may be wrong, but I don't have the impression that this is such a hard-and-fast rule (and this may be an example of how such rules seem frequently bent in Arabic). Besides, the meaning here seems to indicate a request followed by a desired outcome, not an actual/observed one.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

اللهم يسر لنا أمورنا مع الراحة لقلوبنا وأبداننا، والسلامة والعافية في ديننا ودنيانا، وكن لنا صاحبا في سفرنا، وخليفة في أهلنا، واطمس على وجوه أعدائنا، وامسخهم على مكانتهم، فلا يستطيعون المضي ولا المجيء إلينا، 'ولو نشاء لطمسنا على أعينهم فاستبقوا الصراط فأنى يبصرون ولو نشاء لمسخناهم على مكانتهم فما استطاعوا مضيا ولا يرجعون' يس إلى 'فهم لا يبصرون' شاهت الوجوه 'وعنت الوجوه للحي القيوم وقد خاب من حمل ظلما​

I don't understand that إلى. I thought the idea was that the Surah was recited from ولو نشاء etc. to فهم لا يبصرون but, as it turns out, فهم لا يبصرون comes earlier in the Surah (verse 9) than the previously quoted verses (verses 66-67). So what gives? Does it mean that verses 66-67 are recited, and then the speaker goes back to the beginning of the Surah and recites it down to verse 9? That seems a little convoluted but you never know.

Glabrigausapes

Philistine

• Civis Illustris

As I read one Mika Waltari's novel taking place in a 16th century Ottoman Empire, I learnt the word Hakim:
Cognate with H חָכְמָה/ hokhma 'wisdom', one of the ten sephiroth.
There's a very silly-sounding phrase: בישישים חכמה bishishim hokhma 'wisdom [is to be found] among the old'.