For Pacifica - random quotes on Arabic and Qur'an

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It’s the plural of عابد (worshipper) as opposed to عبْد (servant or slave). Good thing they gave you the vocalization, I wouldn’t have thought twice and would have read it عٍباد as well.
I looked it up out of curiousity and it turns out that the distinction hasn’t been that black-and-white throughout history. According to Wane’s lexicon, عبّاد has also been used as a plural of عبْد and the distinction عبد / عابد has not always been clear-cut. In MSA that’s how it sounds at least (فُعّال plurals being almost always plurals of a فاعِل singular, as in حارس / حُرّاس = guard, كاتِب / كُتّاب = writer, سائح / سُيّاح = traveller, tourist, etc.) but maybe it was systematized only later, I don’t know, and maybe the tashkeel offered here is a modern interpretation.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

وكرمت في إخلاص الجهاد مذاهبه

"whose... ways?... in devotion to the jihad were noble"

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret مذاهبه.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

وكرمت في إخلاص الجهاد مذاهبه

"whose... ways?... in devotion to the jihad were noble"

I'm not entirely sure how to interpret مذاهبه.
It's pretty vague: behavior, demeanor, actions, attitude, approach, etc. I understand it as, his actions by way of devoted jihad were laudable.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Oh and I don't think it's devotion to jihad, but rather devotion/faithfulness*in* jihad (litt. Faithfulness of (his) effort).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

جدد الله عليهم رضوانه

I find that last noun defined as "approval", "blessing", or "paradise", any of which could make sense here. Hm.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Such words are a bit tricky because you only ever see them used in reference to Allah, so they end up sounding rather meaningless semantically. I would understand it as satisfaction, as in رضي الله عن فلان = may God be pleased with X

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

وسقى ضرائحهم المقدسة من صوب الحيا طله وتهتانه

I don't get this. Something about God's dew and an unidentifiable word giving drink to their holy graves. No clue what من صوب الحيا means.

I thought at first that God was still the subject, but again the book's vocalization says otherwise (طَلُّه).

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

تهتان also seems to have to do with rain though I can't find the exact form.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

تهتان also seems to have to do with rain though I can't find the exact form.
Yes, I first thought of a second-person singular افتعل verb, and I thought that made no sense. So I copy-pasted in in al-maany and surprisingly:
تَهتان: (اسم)

التَّهْتَانُ : مطرٌ يَفْتُر ثم يعود
So it is a discontinuing rain.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

So, if I'm following all that correctly...

= and may his dew and discontinuing rainfall water their holy graves with the pouring of rain (or give some pouring of rain to their holy graves to drink)?

Of course that sounds pretty awful in English with the repetition of "rain" but is it the idea?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

So, if I'm following all that correctly...

= and may his dew and discontinuing rainfall water their holy graves with the pouring of rain (or give some pouring of rain to their holy graves to drink)?

Of course that sounds pretty awful in English with the repetition of "rain" but is it the idea?
That's my understanding of it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Thanks! Now to find a way to put it in Latin without sounding atrocious. I may choose to simplify it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

وكان ارتحالي في أيام أمير المؤمنين وناصر الدين المجاهد في سبيل رب العالمين الذي رويت أخبار جوده موصولة الإسناد بالإسناد، وشهرت آثار كرمه شهرة واضحة الإشهاد، وتحلت الأيام بحلى فضله، ورتع الأنام في ظل رفقه وعدله، الإمام المقدس أبي سعيد ابن مولانا أمير المؤمنين وناصر الدين الذي فل حد الشرك صدق عزائمه، وأطفأت نار الكفر جداول صارمه، وفتكت بعباد الصليب كتائبه، وكرمت في إخلاص الجهاد مذاهبه، الإمام المقدس أبي يوسف ابن عبد الحق، جدد الله عليهم رضوانه، وسقى ضرائحهم المقدسة من صوب الحيا طله وتهتانه، وجزاهم أفضل الجزاء عن الإسلام والمسلمين، وأبقى الملك في عقبهم إلى يوم الدين

Profectus sum autem tempore imperatoris credentium et religionis fautoris in via Domini mundorum certantis, cuius benignitas continua multarum auctoritatum serie narrata est, cuius liberalitatis signa certis testimoniis divulgata, cuius virtutis ornamentis tempora exornata, in cuius mansuetudinis et aequitatis umbraculo genus humanum laetatum, sancti principis patris Saidi, qui ipse filius fuit domini nostri imperatoris credentium et religionis fautoris cuius firmitatis sinceritas aciem idololatriae rettudit, cuius severitatis rivuli ignem incredulitatis restinxerunt, cuius phalanges crucis cultores deleverunt, cuius facta in studio sancti belli nobilia fuerunt, sancti principis patris Iosephi filii Abdalhacci; reddat illis Deus approbationem suam, ros et pluvia eius bibenda se sanctis eorum sepulchris infundant, optimum eis praemium ab Islam Musulmanisque accedat, regnumque penes posteros eorum permaneat usque ad Diem Iudicii.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

فوصلت مدينة تلمسان وسلطانها يومئذ أبو تاشفين عبد الرحمن بن موسى بن عثمان بن يغمراسن بن زيان

Deinde perveni in urbem Tilimsan, quam tunc regebat pater Tasfini Abdurrahman filius Moysis filii Uthmani filii Iaghmurasani filii Ziani.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

ووافقت بها رسولي ملك إفريقية السلطان أبي يحيى رحمه الله، وهما قاضي الأنكحة بمدينة تونس أبو عبد الله محمد بن أبي بكر علي بن إبراهيم النفزاوي، والشيخ الصالح أبو عبد الله محمد بن الحسين بن عبد الله القرشي الزبيدي - بضم الزاي نسبة إلى قرية بساحل المهدية، وهو أحد الفضلاء وكانت وفاته عام أربعين
قاضي الأنكحة = "judge of marriage", a judge who specializes in matters pertaining to marriage; have I got that right?

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

فوصلت مدينة تلمسان وسلطانها يومئذ أبو تاشفين عبد الرحمن بن موسى بن عثمان بن يغمراسن بن زيان

Deinde perveni in urbem Tilimsan, quam tunc regebat pater Tasfini Abdurrahman filius Moysis filii Uthmani filii Iaghmurasani filii Ziani.
This makes me notice that Latin doesn’t seem to have an ’sh’ sound... or does it? I had never realized this before.

interprete

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

ووافقت بها رسولي ملك إفريقية السلطان أبي يحيى رحمه الله، وهما قاضي الأنكحة بمدينة تونس أبو عبد الله محمد بن أبي بكر علي بن إبراهيم النفزاوي، والشيخ الصالح أبو عبد الله محمد بن الحسين بن عبد الله القرشي الزبيدي - بضم الزاي نسبة إلى قرية بساحل المهدية، وهو أحد الفضلاء وكانت وفاته عام أربعين
قاضي الأنكحة = "judge of marriage", a judge who specializes in matters pertaining to marriage; have I got that right?
First time reading such a title but that’s what it says literally.
بضم الزاي
No idea what this is supposed to mean exactly... ’the added ز refers to his origins from a coastal village’... what added ز...