Enciphered 1424 Milanese Letter

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

He could be. As your Wikipedia page shows, he was what is termed an Antipope. This is someone who claimed the title of Pope, but whom history has decided was not a true Pope. So Antipope Clement VIII is not the same person as the much later Pope Clement VIII.

Have you found a reference to him in the text?

He would have been a political figure in his own right with his own allies and supporters.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

He could be. As your Wikipedia page shows, he was what is termed an Antipope. This is someone who claimed the title of Pope, but whom history has decided was not a true Pope. So Antipope Clement VIII is not the same person as the much later Pope Clement VIII.

Have you found a reference to him in the text?

He would have been a political figure in his own right with his own allies and supporters.
No reference in the text, no.

"Documenti diplomatici tratti dagli archivj milanesi e coordinati per cura di Luigi Osio" Volume 2 is a good historical reference source for the period.

It appears as though Ludovico Michelotti switched sides from the Milanese to the Florentines during 1424, for presumably better money. So we should be able to date the letter quite precisely even if it doesn't have a precise date on it. It was not uncommon for mercenaries to switch sides. There were even some mercenaries who would just charge a state or states not to fight on their opponent's side(s); a very good way of making a living indeed.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

The bit at the beginning about angelus s? ficus

Are there any reference to an Angelo s?fico somewhere

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Is the last word postposita? The text goes: Igitur his attentis voluimus quod omni ? dilatione...
Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 14.33.10.png

I am guessing that the letter dates from after or around the Battle of Zagonara. This is, because Angelo dal Foco and Ludovico Michelotti were both condottieri fighting on the behalf of the Duchy of Milan in the Battle of Zagonara. Giacomo de Vico was involved in later fighting against the Duchy of Milan in Viterbo. So I guess that this letter pre-dates the fighting with Giacomo de Vico. Though I haven't verified this dating. The Battle of Zagonara occurred on the 28th of July in 1424.

So Angelo Dal Foco, Ludovico Michelotti and Giacomo Di Vico were all leading condottieri(mercenary leaders) and all appear to be mentioned in the letter. The wars in Italy at that time were all fought by mercenaries, so this makes these figures like important Generals in a modern conflict.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

I am a bit stuck on this one:
Super qua non cadit alia responsio nisi quod modos, per te superinde servatos plurimum commendamus.
about which there can be no other reply except that we very greatly commend the modos saved superinde by you.

Does anyone have any idea what he means by modos or superinde?