• Only Latin to English, not the other way round

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only English to Latin, not the other way round

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Depends on the name

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

pasquinus

Does Marcus become Mark when you translate a Latin text to English?
Does Mark become Marcus the other way round?
If the answer is No, because proper names should not be translated, then how do you use them in the Latin case system?
P.s. What about geographical names?

kizolk

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Latin > English: I think most of the time I would keep the original name because I have the impression that's how it's usually done but I may be wrong.
Latin > French: highly depends on the name and maybe more importantly, the person. For instance, traditionally Jules César is used instead of Julius Caesar, and it would definitely be weird not to use the former, but that doesn't mean I would use "Jules" for all people who are named Julius.
English>Latin: if a Latin/Roman equivalent of the name is available, I would use it, if only because then I wouldn't have to worry about how/whether to decline it.

Last edited:

pasquinus

Latin > English: I think most of the time I would keep the original name because I have the impression that's how it's usually done but I may be wrong.
Latin > French: highly depends on the name and maybe more importantly, the person. For instance, traditionally Jules César is used instead of Julius Caesar, and it would definititely be weird not to use the former, but that doesn't mean I would use "Jules" for all people who are named Julius.
English>Latin: if a Latin/Roman equivalent of the name is available, I would use it, if only because then I wouldn't have to worry about how/whether to decline it.
What you said makes sense to me. Besides, I guess your Latin>French point would apply to any language.