Do you pronounce the the last vowel, which is long, as long or short in eg. ablative declensions?

EnitLee

Hello!

I'm in a quandary about how to pronounce words like, puellā (versus puella), Latīnē (versus Latīne) and so on. I asked my teacher, who is a very experienced Italian (although I wouldn't call him reliable per sé :|) and he said he hasn't heard anyone pronounce puella and puellā differently. But I have a hard time swallowing that pill. Why would we add the macron (which, as far I understand, is a post-classical pedagogical invention) to differentiate between the abl. and nom., if they are homophonic?

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

There is a difference, and you should pronounce it.
I believe that they use the Italian Church pronunciation in schools in Italy which doesn't distinguish between vowel lengths.

which, as far I understand, is a post-classical pedagogical invention
This is mostly true, but a bit of an oversimplification.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

he hasn't heard anyone pronounce puella and puellā differently
He also hasn't heard any ancient Romans speak. ;)
They are supposed to sound different in the reconstructed classical pronunciation—which of course doesn't mean that everyone today manages or cares to make them sound different.

EnitLee

He also hasn't heard any ancient Romans speak. ;)
They are supposed to sound different in the reconstructed classical pronunciation—which of course doesn't mean that everyone today manages or cares to make them sound different.
Ok, but if I can chalk it up to laziness I'm quite content haha.

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

It isn't laziness, so much as the way that Latin used to be taught.