Di puellae consilium dabunt, etenim est dis cura de fama

Moormoorer

Dear friends, greetings from China.

I am currently studying Latin as an interest, and I'm using LTRL. I encountered the sentence today in one of the Latin-English drills, and I was a little confused regarding the translation of fama. The answer key translates fama into fama puellae, but it seems to me that fama deum works equally. A friend of mine who is more advanced in latin told me that fama deum seems more reasonable given the proximity of dis and fama, and I was wondering if the proximity of words do matter in Latin translation in situations like this, where contextual info is missing. Additional examples would be much appreciated!

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I don't have much context to go on here, but from what little there is in the sentence itself it seems to me that the gods would give advice to the girl to help her preserve her reputation—so the fama could be the girl's or the statement could be a general one that the gods care about people's or girls' reputation in general (and their providing the girl with advice would just be one particular instance of how they generally care).

It isn't impossible that the fama belongs to the gods, though—maybe they'll give advice to the girl because they don't want to lose their reputation as good helpers...? Hard to be certain without any context.

Last edited: