Colloquium inter duces duos..

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

Where can I find the original conversation/dialogue Between Scipio and Hannibal in Latin? What author? What book?

Scipio Africanus Vs Hannibal Barca
Africanus asked who, in Hannibal's opinion, was the greatest general of all time. Hannibal replied: 'Alexander, King of the Macedonians, because with a small force he routed armies of countless numbers, and because he traversed the remotest lands. Merely to visit such lands transcended human expectation.' Asked whom he would place second, Hannibal said: 'Pyrrhus. He was the first to teach the art of laying out a camp. Besides that, no one has ever shown nicer judgement in choosing his ground, or in disposing his forces. He also had the art of winning men to his side; so that the Italian peoples preferred the overlordship of a foreign king to that of the Roman people, who for so long had been the chief power in that country.' When Africanus followed up by asking whom he ranked third, Hannibal unhesitatingly chose himself. Scipio burst out laughing at this, and said: 'What would you have said if you had defeated me?' 'In that case', replied Hannibal, 'I should certainly put myself before Alexander and before Pyrrhus - in fact, before all other generals!' This reply, with its elaborate Punic subtlety, and this unexpected kind of flattery...affected Scipio deeply, because Hannibal had set him (Scipio) apart from the general run of commanders, as one whose worth was beyond calculation.

Last edited:

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Livy book 35, chapter 14:

Claudius, secutus Graecos Acilianos libros, P. Africanum in ea fuisse legatione tradit eumque Ephesi conlocutum cum Hannibale, et sermonem unum etiam refert: quaerenti Africano quem fuisse maximum imperatorem Hannibal crederet, respondisse Alexandrum Macedonum regem, quod parua manu innumerabiles exercitus fudisset quod<que> ultimas oras, quas uisere supra spem humanam esset, peragrasset. quaerenti deinde quem secundum poneret, Pyrrhum dixisse: castra metari primum docuisse, ad hoc neminem elegantius loca cepisse, praesidia disposuisse; artem etiam conciliandi sibi homines eam habuisse ut Italicae gentes regis externi quam populi Romani, tam diu principis in ea terra, imperium esse mallent. exsequenti quem tertium duceret, haud dubie semet ipsum dixisse. tum risum obortum Scipioni et subiecisse 'quidnam tu diceres, si me uicisses?' 'tum uero me' inquit 'et ante Alexandrum et ante Pyrrhum et ante alios omnes imperatores esse.' et perplexum Punico astu responsum et improuisum adsentationis genus Scipionem mouisse, quod e grege se imperatorum uelut inaestimabilem secreuisset.

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

Why does he use 'Quaerenti Africano'
,which I think it is an ablative absolute, and not 'Quaerente Africano'?

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

It is not an ablative absolute. It is dative, depending on "respondisse" ("to Africanus, when he asked [x], [Hannibal] responded [y]"). This is a very common construction for showing dialogue.

puer brasilianus

Civis

• Civis

I confess, it's a little bit confusing (The Latin construction), but once you clarified this point, it makes sense sense.. thanks.