Bound by blood, last of the breed

Anglicus

To give some context this is for a group t-shirt for some ex armed forces friends, all male if the gender is necessary. I would be interested in the whole phrase, but if it's too wordy or doesn't flow very well then either phrase as a stand alone would also be helpful if it could be translated.

I've tried using google for things like this before and been universally told that's a bad idea, so i didn't even bother this time.

Thanks for any help! :)

Michael Zwingli

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

...this is for a group t-shirt for some ex armed forces friends...
Hoorah! Ex (U.S.) Army myself...armored vehicle crewmember.

For the sake of clarity, I will assume that you mean to say something like "Bound by blood, we are the last of the breed". I might phrase a translation as follows:

"Generis ultimi, sanguine ligatus sumus"
or
"Generis novissimi, sanguine ligatus sumus"

...which literally mean "The (plural masculine) last of the kind/type/breed, we have been bound by blood". I rather think that ultimi ("the last of a series") renders the sense you are looking for better than novissimi ("last" in the sense of "the latest"/"the most recent"), so that is probably what you want. Hopefully, one or two of the heavyweights on this site will verify my translation for you...you should wait for that (alas, I am a Latin "lightweight").

Last edited:

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Generis ultimi
Ultimi could easily be misread as a genitive in agreement with generis, making the whole sound like "(we are) of the last (i.e. worst, most despicable) kind". I would suggest perhaps (nostro) ex genere ultimi.
ligatus sumus
That doesn't agree. With ligati it would be grammatically correct. But a better word perhaps would be coniuncti.