Apuleius: Amor & Psyche

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Velim ergo scias multo te meliorem filium alium genituram, ...

I would wish to know why are these two verbs in subjunctive. I would interpret scias as an order. But why velim?

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

Velim ergo scias multo te meliorem filium alium genituram, ...

I would wish to know why are these two verbs in subjunctive. I would interpret scias as an order. But why velim?
Velim here expresses a wish. "I want you to know...".

The Italian edition of the Latine Disco calls it an optative subjunctive (It. congiuntivo ottativo).

Last edited:

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Velim here expresses a wish. "I want you to know...".

The Italian edition of the Latine Disco calls it an optative subjunctive (It. congiuntivo ottativo).
Now I remember I learnt in a past about it. I forgot about this option.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Sic effata foras sese proripit infesta et stomachata biles Venerias.

She said this, she went out, disturbed and furious ... and now this bile pertaining to love in accusative. What to do with it?

Ybytyruna

Cammarōrum Edācissimus

• Civis Illustris

Sic effata foras sese proripit infesta et stomachata biles Venerias.

She said this, she went out, disturbed and furious ... and now this bile pertaining to love in accusative. What to do with it?
Stomachor hīc est transitīvum. Illa stomachāta est bīlēs Venereās.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

“Honesta” inquit “haec et natalibus nostris bonaeque tuae frugi congruentia, ...

This (is) what coresponds to our family and to your good .... as I see this must be used as an adjective but is it possible that it works here as a noun so it would mean your good honor or something like that?
Yes, though the dative is often used virtually as an adjective, it's still really a noun and it's being used as such here. It means good character or the like.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Sed Venus indignata ridicule tractari suas iniurias praeversis illis alterorsus concito gradu pelago viam capessit.

I have few problems with this sentence:

ridicule is an adverb and I can not really catch it's meaning. Since it modifies tractari = being dealt with looking at the dictionary suggests me the meaning that her iniuriae are being dealt with in a funny way. Can it be in deriding way?

I have no idea what praeversis illis is trying to say, probably because I don't get the context.

And I can't find nowhere in any dictionary I use the word alterorsus.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Can it be in deriding way?
Yes. The idea is that the wrongs done to her are being made light of, treated as a laughing matter.
I have no idea what praeversis illis is trying to say, probably because I don't get the context.

And I can't find nowhere in any dictionary I use the word alterorsus.
Alterorsus means "in the other direction".

Praeversis illis is unclear to me. I'm not sure whether it means that Venus had sent them away, or turned away from them, or walked past them, or whether they themselves had turned away.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Haec eam sollicite seduloque curantem Ceres alma deprehendit et longum exclamat protinus:

I have no idea what to do with this in this sentence, except if I could take it as an adverb, meaning from afar or sth. like that. But the adverb form is longe.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

It is indeed adverbial. Neuter forms of adjectives are sometimes used adverbially.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Nec ullam vel dubiam spei melioris viam volens omittere,

This a path for better hope? That would mean path that would make her fortune better? What kind of Genitive is that? Objective?

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Quod sciam, soles praegnatibus periclitantibus ultro subuenire.”

Why is the verb here in subjunctive? With the subjunctive here I would translate it as "May I know that you come to aid ..." But all translations I came up with has it "since I know ...". In that case I see no logic in subjunctive ...

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This a path for better hope? That would mean path that would make her fortune better?
Yes, a path to better hope.
What kind of Genitive is that? Objective?
I wouldn't call it objective but I don't know what it should be called.
Quod sciam, soles praegnatibus periclitantibus ultro subuenire.”

Why is the verb here in subjunctive? With the subjunctive here I would translate it as "May I know that you come to aid ..." But all translations I came up with has it "since I know ...". In that case I see no logic in subjunctive ...
It means "as far as I know". We talked about this construction recently.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Namque saxum immani magnitudine procerum et inaccessa salebritate lubricum mediis e faucibus lapidis fontes horridos evomebat, qui statim proni foraminis lacunis editi perque proclive delapsi et angusti canalis exarato contecti tramite proximam convallem latenter incidebant.

''qui'' are the ''fontes'' and to it pertain ''proni'', ''editi'', ''delapsi'', ''contecti'' and they were hiddenly falling down in the nearby valley, covered in? the furrow of thin channel. This is what I was able to put together. I know it starts that they were immediately inclined and then I don't know how to put the cases together. And then it says they were going up and down somehow?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

''qui'' are the ''fontes'' and to it pertain ''proni'', ''editi'', ''delapsi'', ''contecti'' and they were hiddenly falling down in the nearby valley, covered in? the furrow of thin channel.
Yes except proni goes with foraminis.
I don't know how to put the cases together
proni foraminis = genitive, modifying the ablative lacunis
proclive
= accusative, used as a noun meaning a downward slope.
And then it says they were going up and down somehow?
No, I don't see anything like that.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Nec Providentiae bonae graves oculos innocentis animae latuit aerumna.

And to good providence did not hide heavy eyes of the innocent soul. This is how I would translate it but other translations don't have it like that. What am I missing?

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Yes except proni goes with foraminis.
proni foraminis = genitive, modifying the ablative lacunis
proclive
= accusative, used as a noun meaning a downward slope.

No, I don't see anything like that.
Thank you, now I get it.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Nec Providentiae bonae graves oculos innocentis animae latuit aerumna.

And to good providence did not hide heavy eyes of the innocent soul. This is how I would translate it but other translations don't have it like that. What am I missing?
Providentiae bonae modifies graves oculos.
Innocentis animae modifies aerumna.
Innocentis animae aerumna is the subject of latuit; Providentiae bonae graves oculos is the object.
Latere + accusative = to be hidden from, escape (the notice of).
Graves is probably something like "grave" here rather than "heavy".