Apuleius: Amor & Psyche

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Videt lucum proceris et vastis arboribus consitum, videt fontem vitreo latice perlucidum medio luci meditullio. Prope fontis allapsum domus regia est ...

I would say that she see a fontain in the middle of the lucus (I don't know the english expression). But what then with meditullio. Dictionary says that it means practically the same as medio.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Ah, Apuleius being Apuleius (i.e. weird) again. :)

Medio is probably being used as an adjective here, and medio meditullio means "in the middle center" or so—a pleonasm perhaps meant to convey emphasis; = "in the very middle".

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

... totique parietes solidati massis aureis splendore proprio coruscant, ut diem suum sibi domus faciat licet sole nolente.

If I understand the structure of this sentence correctly the sole nolente is an ablative absolute and the word licet is a word specifying the abl. absol., but not strictly necessary. Am I correct?

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Prohinc cubiculo te refer et lectulo lassitudinem refoue et ex arbitrio lauacrum pete.

I am wondering why is cubiculum in ablative and not in accusative case. Accusativus extensionis seems more logical than ablativus loci.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

I am completely lost with this one ...

... sedulo tibi praeministrabimus nec corporis curatae tibi regales epulae morabuntur.

We will diligently serve you ... and not of the body?? .. for you is going to wait a prepared regal feast.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

Prohinc cubiculo te refer et lectulo lassitudinem refoue et ex arbitrio lauacrum pete.

I am wondering why is cubiculum in ablative and not in accusative case. Accusativus extensionis seems more logical than ablativus loci.
It's dative.
I am completely lost with this one ...

... sedulo tibi praeministrabimus nec corporis curatae tibi regales epulae morabuntur.

We will diligently serve you ... and not of the body?? .. for you is going to wait a prepared regal feast.
Literally: "nor shall a regal feast be delayed for you having been cared for in (lit. of) body". That is, a regal feast will be ready for you immediately once you've taken care of your body (by sleeping and taking a bath).

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Literally: "nor shall a regal feast be delayed for you having been cared for in (lit. of) body". That is, a regal feast will be ready for you immediately once you've taken care of your body (by sleeping and taking a bath).
I don't understand it yet completely. So what kind of genitive is that?

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

A genitive of specification. It works together with an adjective (or participle) more or less as an ablative would.

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

I am full of questions today ...

Sensit Psyche divinae providentiae beatitudinem monitusque voces informes audiens et prius somno et mox lavacro fatigationem diluit, visoque statim proximo semirotundo suggestu, propter instrumentum cenatorium rata refectui suo commodum libens accumbi.

Is that an ablative absolute?

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Tunc virginitati suae pro tanta solitudine metuens et pavet et horrescit et quovis malo plus timet quod ignorat.

Why is here ablaive / dative?

Katarina

Civis

• Civis

Psyche dulcissima et cara uxor, exitiabile tibi periculum minatur fortuna saeuior, quod obseruandum pressiore cautela censeo.

Using the dictionary I would translate that part: I think this [danger] should be regarded with a great caution. but regarded in a sense hat she need to enter this danger, since observo means to keep safe, to observe ... so it has a positive attitudde towards the object. So how we get out of this a meaning that she has to pay attention and watch out?

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Psyche, sweetest and dear wife, harsh fortune threatens you with a fatal danger, which I reckon must be regarded with rather moderate precaution.

Matthaeus

Vemortuicida strenuus

• Civis Illustris

• Patronus

Yeah, I thought so too, but after checking L&S, I wasn't convinced, as they give nothing remotely resembling "attentive."

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

L&S quotes the passage here:

B. Close, exact, accurate: “Thucydides ita verbis aptus et pressus, ut,” Cic. de Or. 2, 13, 56: quis te fuit umquam in partiundis rebus pressior? more exact, more accurate, id. Fragm. ap. Non. 364, 24: “sicuti taxare pressius crebriusque est, quam tangere,” Gell. 2, 6, 5: “quod (periculum) observandum pressiore cautelā censeo,” stricter, greater, App. M. 5, p. 160, 36: “cogitationes pressiores,” id. ib. 5, p. 163, 32.—So of sounds, precise, intelligible: “(lingua) vocem profusam fingit atque sonos vocis distinctos et pressos facit,” Cic. N. D. 2, 59, 149.—Hence, adv.: pressē , with pressure, violently (class.): artius pressiusque conflictata, Atei. Capito ap. Gell. 10, 6, 2.—

And here's what the OLD says:
w.PNG

However one chooses to translate it (the exact nuance may be difficult to render in English) one can deduce from the meaning of the source verb on the one hand, and from the context on the other, that the idea here is one of closeness, intentness, or the like.

Attachments