Annals 11.6 - 'quippe in manifestos'

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

talia dicente consule designato, consentientibus aliis, parabatur sententia qua lege repetundarum tenerentur, cum Suillius et Cossutianus et ceteri qui non iudicium, quippe in manifestos, sed poenam statui videbant, circumsistunt Caesarem ante acta deprecantes.

Not quite sure how the grammar works here, specifically how 'in' should be translated.

The only thing I can think is that it should be translated as 'for' - 'obviously it was for guilty (men)'.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

B

Bitmap

I'm not sure, either ... I would take it in the sense of aliquid in aliquem statuere: 'they saw that not a trial (would be held), but a punishment would be imposed against (in) evidently guilty men (manifestos).'
I left 'quippe' untranslated there because it's more or less like a participle, but I take it to have some causal subtone: they were so evidently guilty that they would not even get a trial, but a direct punishment.

Phoebus Apollo

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I'm not sure, either ... I would take it in the sense of aliquid in aliquem statuere: 'they saw that not a trial (would be held), but a punishment would be imposed against (in) evidently guilty men (manifestos).'
I left 'quippe' untranslated there because it's more or less like a participle, but I take it to have some causal subtone: they were so evidently guilty that they would not even get a trial, but a direct punishment.
Thanks! That makes sense to me. And yeah, the translations I'm using also seem to translate it w/ a causal undertone.