• Aedilis

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

These are part of an exhibition in which stuff from Pompeii is shown which is usually held in storage.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Bowls with paint pigments, from Pompeii:

1674985908918.png
1674985822873.png

This reminded me of the article according to which the ancient Romans didn't "know" the color blue, or distinguish it from green. However the blue pigment in the second picture is clearly visible. This is what the museum says:

1674986256610.png

1674986285889.png

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

This reminded me of the article according to which the ancient Romans didn't "know" the color blue, or distinguish it from green.
I don't know whether that article is right or wrong, but the blue pigment doesn't prove much by itself; it could still be that they would have regarded this blue as just one shade of the "green-blue" color.

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

I don't know whether that article is right or wrong, but the blue pigment doesn't prove much by itself; it could still be that they would have regarded this blue as just one shade of the "green-blue" color.
I was thinking of that, however according to the description, green pigment was used as well. I am not sure how accurate that is.

Pacifica

grammaticissima

• Aedilis

I was thinking of that, however according to the description, green pigment was used as well. I am not sure how accurate that is.
Yes but, again, it could be that the green and blue pigments were shades of the same for them.

Caeruleus is how we usually translate "blue" (and it's the best word for it that I know of) but if you look at the definition, it's ambiguous; it ranges from "dark" to "blue" to "green": https://alatius.com/ls/index.php?met=up&ord=caeruleus

I was going to say that viridis seemed to have been unambiguoulsy "green", but Lewis & Short actually claims it could also mean "bluish green"... I don't know if it's right, but that's what it says: https://alatius.com/ls/index.php?met=up&ord=viridis

rothbard

Aedilis

• Aedilis

• Patronus

Young magistrate, from the Horti Liciniani in Rome (late IV or early V century). This indicates that the toga was still worn at the time, at least on special occasions. I wonder what he holds in his hand.

1674987805008.png
1674987913644.png