Aeneid VI.852 - Pacique imponere morem

adastra

Hi,

I was just wondering whether there any good examples in the Aeneid in which Aeneas imposes law on peace?
I've been trying to find one but haven't been able to

Thanks so much; your help has meant a lot to me

AoM

nulli numeri

• Civis Illustris

L&S have this use under "law", but mos is more like habit, custom, tradition. Though Williams is against that and prefers "civilization".

Not sure if you have access to Horsfall's commentary, but he points out how unique the phrase is, stressing that moresque viris et moenia ponet (1.264) is not the same. Note that there's also the reading pacisque, but Horsfall doesn't like it (and when he doesn't like something, he really doesn't like it lol).

As for instances of Aeneas using peace, the one that first came to mind for me was when he broke up the boxing match between Entellus and Dares (5.461-4):

tum pater Aeneas procedere longius iras
et saevire animis Entellum haud passus acerbis,
sed finem imposuit pugnae fessumque Dareta
eripuit mulcens dictis ac talia fatur:

While there's no mention of pax or mos, you at least get the imponere/imposuit connection.

There's also 8.115-6:

tum pater Aeneas puppi sic fatur ab alta
paciferaeque manu ramum praetendit olivae:

And 12.110-2:

tum socios maestique metum solatur Iuli
fata docens, regique iubet responsa Latino
certa referre viros et pacis dicere leges.

But if your professor is requiring that it has to be mentioned in a commentary, welp. None of the commentaries I checked mention the line from 6. Though I still need to check F&S for the lines from 8.

Edit: nothing from them there at 8.116. Though for your analysis, it's worth noting that at 8.730 (miratur rerumque ignarus imagine gaudet), they have:

"For a connection between Aeneas' ignorance of Roman history and the Anchisean admonition of 6.851 tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento, etc., see Newman and Newman 2005, 266. Aeneas cannot hope to follow the advice of the shade of his father when he is clearly not Romanus; a Roman would not be ignorant of res Italas Romanorumque triumphos."

Last edited:

adastra

Thank you for these nice examples!

Particularly with the olive branch, Horsfall discusses in regards to Numa that it could mean peace or piety (and in effect civilisation), so I might look into that association there :)

But if your professor is requiring that it has to be mentioned in a commentary, welp.
Haha I don't think this is a requirement for essays (I'm writing an essay atm). I just need a collection of evidence that makes semi-logical sense lol.