Aeneid VI.426 Tricolon?

adastra

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has a reference to an article or a commentary which describes 6.426-427 explicitly as a tricolon?

"Continuo auditae voces vagitus et ingens
infantumque animae flentes"

Maclennan mentions that the three elements of the list increase in length (one, two, three words) and precision; Horsfall refers to the sentence as "a fine sequence of three increasing members". I believe that this is a great example of a tricolon crescens (as it literally is crescens). Considering this, I think it is a very interesting line and would really like to discuss the various techniques which it contains, however my teacher requires the technique to be explicitly stated in a commentary/article before we can discuss it properly. Any ideas? :cool:

Dantius

Homo Sapiens

• Civis Illustris

Maclennan mentions that the three elements of the list increase in length (one, two, three words) and precision; Horsfall refers to the sentence as "a fine sequence of three increasing members". I believe that this is a great example of a tricolon crescens (as it literally is crescens). Considering this, I think it is a very interesting line and would really like to discuss the various techniques which it contains, however my teacher requires the technique to be explicitly stated in a commentary/article before we can discuss it properly. Any ideas? :cool:
Who could need something more explicit than the quotes you adduced? That is honestly a rather strange move on your teacher's part; not sure what one gets out of that.

adastra

I'm assuming it's so that answers and marking schemes can be standardised across the whole exam board. Sometimes we've extrapolated things from commentaries which technically aren't wrong...just...less right...
But yes I agree that it's frustrating at times.

Dumnorix

It sounds as if your teacher needs an authority to cite, as if he would not want to rely on his own judgment and later be proved wrong.

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Oooh....is he picking the students' brains then (for a journal article?)