A latin song: Gradus Vita.

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone,

I recently discovered this short music record (from the Warsaw Philharmonic Orchestra).

The lyrics are in latin, and I am really interested in translating them.

Unfortunately it is quite hard to understand for me who does not know latin language.

I post here with high hopes that you skillful people will be able to help me.

Here are some links to youtube so that you can listen to the record (Gradus Vita from the ending of Hellsing OAV 1, composed by Hayato Matsuo) :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPc8qRjc7us[/youtube]

And for the long version :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEOMbx7-A7g[/youtube]

I am specially interested in the sentence that begins at 1min52 in the short version, and 3min16sec in the long version.

Please, every contribution, even incomplete, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot !

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

My stars, that is hard to pick up with all that music in the background. It's very difficult to pick this sort of thing up, even for us, because we modern Latinists are trained to read, not speak or listen. So picking things like this up, especially with a very loud orchestral accompaniment, is quite difficult. I'll make another crack at this at another time, but I'll have to say that based on our efforts with Somnus Nemoris (a theme song from Final Fantasy Versus XIII) with piano and gunfire in the background, we probably won't be able to finish your request in its entirety.

A

Anonymous

If you only may enlight me with the first words of the sentence I outlined in my first post, it would be really enough for me.

Thanks a lot for trying and giving me some of your time.

Fulgor Laculus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Well, I listened to it a few times and wasn't able to make anything out. These things are difficult enough even without background music due to the singers' pronounciation; but with all that music I can't understand a word.

firman

One suggestion is to contact the composer or his representatives and ask them for the lyrics, although this might stumble on copyright problems.

A

Anonymous

The composer cannot give me the lyrics as there is indeed a copyright problem.

Hmm ... I understand that it is quite difficult, and I sincerely thank you for your time.

In fact I am interested in the very first words of the sentence beginning at 1min52 (short version).

I hear an expression that sounds familiar to me (as my native language is Polish, and the words I do hear are very similar to a few polish words) at the very beginning of this sentence.

I rather do not want to tell you what I hear because it would be like spoiling, and could induce your answers, but if there is no other choice, I will inform you about what I think I am hearing.

It is enough if you concentrate on the three or four words of the phrase beginning at the time I gave in the main post.

Thank you again and receive my most sincere apologies for being so annoying.

A

Anonymous

NaGsen
It's a bit late, but, if it can help you, here is the lyrics.

For a long version:

Beterarium Deus. Mons dormio Deus, Renuntio decerto terra agminatim. Nobis spiritus! Amatum floris campus, oblivisror fremitus, verecundum sonitus. Deus obliverat, ratio aeternus Bapulo pluvit, asper ventus, hir pus dona renuntio. Gradus vita, non est causa. An desiderium caelum Despecto veneri filia, carpo quan ob rem herba, et e animus, venenum? Lanquam rota, vapularis, vurnus non sitio terrus bibulum. Beterarium Deus. Mons dormio Deus, Renuntio decerto terra agminatim. Nobis spiritus! Ura e Deus nos, inter caelum tonitrus, Biolatum corpus, Guerra Lessatum! Utur diabolum ulbis, gehennalis terrarius, Amor! Oblitus hic me, Desperatio!

For a short version:

Beterarium Deus.
Mons dormio Deus,
Renuntio decerto terra agminatim. Nobis spiritus!

Amatum floris campus,
oblivisror fremitus,
verecundum sonitus.
Lanquam rota, vapularis,
vurnus non sitio terrus bibulum.

Bet erarium Deus.
Mons dormio Deus,
Renuntio decerto terra agminatim. Nobis spiritus!

Ura e Deus nos,
inter caelum tonitrus,
Biolatum corpus,
Guerra Lessatum!
Utur diabolum ulbis,
gehennalis terrarius,
Amor! Oblitus hic me, Desperatio!

I've found it here: http://www.vidivodom.com/video/venenum

So, the only problem is a translation now. Which I would really glad to see too :).

A

Anonymous

Re: A latin song : Gradus Vita.

Good song and good words, I think latin is much more difficult than spanish.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Re: A latin song : Gradus Vita.

That website is now a French translation service.