Tattoo In union there is strength

froggywasbest

I was wondering if you all could help us out. We want to get this Aesop quote tattooed.

The saying is:

In union there is strength.

Thank you!!!!
Laurie

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

In adūnātiōne, est vis

Please wait for others to reply first

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Laurie, are you looking for "authentic Aesop" or just a translation?

Aesop's Fables were in Greek.

http://books.google.com/books?id=WWhxU-4l3PsC&pg=PA11 gives *a* Latin translation of iuncta iuvant. More literally, it means "together they help." It's short and alliterative; you may find that appealing.

My Greek is very weak, but search for "The Father And His Sons" at wikisource.org, in the Greek pages -- I think this is authentic Aesop. The story is essentially the same as above.

I *think* the moral is at the very bottom which they leave untranslated. I think there are some Greek scholars on this site so I'll leave it to them.

Ὁ λόγος δηλοῖ ὅτι τοσοῦτον ἰσχυροτέρα ἐστὶν ἡ ὁμόνοια ὅσον εὐκαταγώνιστος ἡ στάσις.

tosouton = "so large"
ischyrotera appears related to the word for "mighty"
homonoia = "oneness of mind/thought, unity, concord"

froggywasbest

Thank you both for your prompt and informative replies!

I would like the quote to be translated in Latin. I know he was Greek, but, eh, I like Latin! I am studying to be a history teacher and all things old appeal to me.

Scrabulista,
The "iuncta iuvant" is pretty neat! But we have a small group of us getting the same phrase (it was hard to come to an agreement!) So I am reticent to change it at all, lest they find out...

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Oh, no, please tell them *exactly* what they're getting into. Any deceit on your part should get you kicked out of the sisterhood. Hmm...in the novels you would also wear the same type of jewelry (ring, bracelet, etc.) with some symbols on it recapitulating your motto.

As you can see, Mme. Drake does translate iuncta iuvant as "in union there is strength." I wanted you to be aware that the translation was loose. Please suggest this one to your sisterhood as one option, and cite the source (Mme. Drake, not necessarily me).

EDIT: If this is a sisterhood, you could also do something like iunctae iuvant (specifically feminine plural), or iunctae iuvamus, "together we help."

http://books.google.com/books?id=919DAAAAYAAJ gives the moral of "The Farmer and His Sons" as Haec fabula docet parvas res crescere concordia, magnas dilabi discordia...."This story teaches that small things grow by concord; great things fall away by discord." Mr. Clarke doesn't claim it means "in union there is strength," so that's further away from what you want.

You may want to echo the form of in vino veritas, "in wine (there is) truth." So you might want to drop the est "is" from Johnny's phrase.

If you wanted a word that looked more like veritas, you could use potestas. I was hoping to find a shorter word for "union." You could use unitas, in which case you'd have: In unitate potestas.

unio is Late Latin -- many around here prefer the classical era though. If you like this word you could do:
In unione potestas.

B

Bitmap

scrabulista dixit:
http://books.google.com/books?id=919DAAAAYAAJ gives the moral of "The Farmer and His Sons" as Haec fabula docet parvas res crescere concordia, magnas dilabi discordia...."This story teaches that small things grow by concord; great things fall away by discord." Mr. Clarke doesn't claim it means "in union there is strength," so that's further away from what you want.
Salve!

This is originally a quote by Sallust, Iug. 10:

concordia paruae res crescunt, discordia maximae dilabuntur

scrabulista

Consul

• Consul

Apparently iuncta iuvant is taken from a legal maxim; it is spelled juncta juvant in most legal dictionaries.
EDIT: it also on the seal of the University of Cincinnati.
http://www.libraries.uc.edu/libraries/a ... ySeal.html

quae non valeant singula, iuncta iuvant - "[things] which have no value one at a time, help when joined."
valeant may be replaced by prosunt.