in myself i trust

A

Anonymous

hellow i need some help with sentences .it might be much but if i can get helped with just one i'll be happy also.
I want to put them on my wall in my room but i want them in latin and i dont know latin :help: :help: ?

-in myself i trust(believe)
-learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.
-accept(explore) your limits and go beyond them
-enjoy life
-live each moment, it will never come again
-expect nothing, get everything
-i make my own luck
-live your life as you, and only u want to live it

-the beginning(used as in the beginning of life or birth)
want to place that on a birthcard
i found the word initium for this .is it correct ?

thanx in advance.
andrew

Interficio

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

1. In Me Confido

(Ill edit with the others later on)

B

Bitmap

You shouldn't be too thankful, it's not even right :>

In myself I trust = Mihi (ipso) confido

Interficio

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Bitmap dixit:
You shouldn't be too thankful, it's not even right :>

In myself I trust = Mihi (ipso) confido
:'(

Pretty straightforward aren't you.

I trust in me

I trust: Confido

In me: In me (abl.)

Mind elaborating...

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Latin just doesn't do things that way. Yet again, I hate to make an arbitrary statement for fear of running into an exception, but "in" is strictly "in" or "on" (as in physical location in or on something) or with the accusative, "into."

Another option here would be mihi credo.

Regarding some of the others: Initium is a good word to use for "the beginning", though there are plenty of others.

live your life as you, and only you want to live it
vive ut tu solus vivere vis
"live as you alone wish to live."

I think tu can be neglected here, but I think the emphasis is actually warranted for once anyway. I'm also not entirely sure if I used ut properly here...

B

Bitmap

Sorry, didn't mean to break your enthusiasm, interficio :(

Initium means beginning; at the beginning is Initio

vive ut tu solus vivere vis
this seems right to me

as for some of the other phrases:

learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow
disce ex praeteritis, vive in praesentia, spera futurum

accept(explore) your limits and go beyond them
Scito/explora fines tuos et i ultra eos
(scito fines tuos = know your limits; explora fines tuos = explore your limits)

enjoy life
fruere vita

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

I should mention that the Latin word in isn't strictly limited to spatial relations. It has in fact a wide range of extended meanings, some of which its English equivalent lacks entirely, especially when used with the accusative case: e.g. it can have a temporal sense with certain words to indicate intended duration, as "until" or "for", and in respect to personal feelings it can mean "towards" or "against" a person. It can sometimes even express purpose or tendency towards a goal, which is usually best translated as "for". It is also used like the English word in many other non-spatial senses, such as to indicate change into something else and division into smaller parts.

Knowing when to use in and when to use some other indicator (such as the dative case) to translate the English word "in", and vice versa, is really just a matter of knowing and recognizing the unique idioms of each language.

QMF

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yet again I'm shot down when I try to make a broad general statement about a language. But I do think that, at the very least, I was right in this case.

At least I hesitated prior to making it...

Cato

Consularis

• Consularis

QMF dixit:
Latin just doesn't do things that way. Yet again, I hate to make an arbitrary statement for fear of running into an exception, but "in" is strictly "in" or "on" (as in physical location in or on something) or with the accusative, "into."
This is true for spatial relationships, where Latin did not abstract the preposition in as readily as English. Sticking with in+abl., the basic usage is very similar to English "in" or "on" describing a spatial relationship (sometimes it may be better translated by "within" or "among"). It then abstracts that relationship to time so that it can express duration or the "containing time" of an activity, and this use is often extended beyond strict time to include situations, conditions, etc. But the abstract usages never stray far from the original spatial meaning.
Imber Ranae dixit:
I should mention that the Latin word in isn't strictly limited to spatial relations. It has in fact a wide range of extended meanings, some of which its English equivalent lacks entirely, especially when used with the accusative case
This is also accurate. Starting with the assumption that the spatial relationship "into" is the base meaning of in+acc., this is slightly abstracted to mean "toward" (like ad) where the movement itself is emphasized over the destination, and then applied as a metaphorical motion for progress/tendency/desire/attack. IMO this explains most of the unusual usages, e.g. in lucem - "until the dawn", in Catilinam - "against Catiline", in rem esse - "to be useful", in melius - "for the better" (that last is often described as an adverbial phrase, but it's pretty clear to me the adverb melius is a "frozen" accusative).

It seems to me later Latin extended this usage even farther, e.g. the Aquinas' hymn Verbum Supernum uses phrases like in pretium - "for the sake of a ransom" and in praemium - "as a reward".

Imber Ranae

Ranunculus Iracundus

• Civis Illustris

Good points, Cato. The reciprocal adverb invicem "in turn/among them(our)(your)selves", from the 3rd declension noun vicis "turn/change" and in + acc, seems to be another example.