17th century manuscript - author's comment on writing in the heat of battle

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

de lana caprina rixari means to have an argument about nothing.

vocalis means a vowel

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

You have also translated fere ut in two different ways. I wonder if the first should be, it is pronounced almost like Cary

quoniam etiam de hoc, tanquam de lana caprina longam texis disputationem
Perhaps, you could say: because you could weave a long and meaningless argument about this too

Kangaroo1200

Ok, so I have amended the translation to reflect your input - many thanks for that! So it now reads:
Concerning our surname, because you could weave a long and meaningless argument about this too, our ancestors and relatives have always written ‘Corevv’ or ‘Carve’ which, however, it is pronounced almost like ‘Cary’, for the ‘e’ at the end in English and French is rarely pronounced and it is not a consonant but a vowel and is pronounced subtly – as in French – almost like ‘

what do think of that now?

Laurentius

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I think many wouldn't consider it a mistake because the meaning is basically the same, but the author says something like "among the English and the French".

Last edited:

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

Good point, I missed that.

Kangaroo1200

Hi both,
thanks a lot for your previous translation. I append below my own full translation of a different passage. Just wanted to bounce it off you for your thoughts as to whether it's accurate.
many thanks once again!!

Licet autem per multos annos Hiberni & morum sanctitate & litterarum præstantia, tum civili politia, floruerint, postmodum tamen in tantam barbariem & ignorantiam lapsi sunt, ut nulla prorsus politia apud ipsos viguerit, nec politas litteras retinuerint, ob nimias easque feruidas belli immanitates, quæ-litterarum sanctitatisque studia prorsus extinxerunt.

[Although the Irish flourished for many years, both in the preeminence of their letters and holiness of their manners, and in civil polity, afterwards they fell into such barbarity and ignorance, that absolutely no polity was in place among them, nor did they retain sophisticated literature, because of those heinous cases of excessive savageness of the war, which caused the complete extinction of any pursuit of literature and holiness]

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

mores are customs
politia, you could tanslate as state
perhaps, although at the time of the civilised state, the Irish flourished for many years both...
on account of the excessive and violent savagery of war
which completely destroyed the pursuit

Kangaroo1200

mores are customs
politia, you could tanslate as state
perhaps, although at the time of the civilised state, the Irish flourished for many years both...
on account of the excessive and violent savagery of war
which completely destroyed the pursuit
many thanks indeed for this and I think the passage now reads much better. Below is what I have following your kind assistance.

[Although at the time of the civilized state, the Irish flourished for many years both in the preeminence of their letters and holiness of their customs, and afterwards they fell into such barbarity and ignorance, that absolutely no state was in place among them, nor did they retain sophisticated literature, on account of the excessive and violent savagery of war which completely destroyed the pursuit of literature and holiness].

cinefactus

Censor

• Censor

• Patronus

no and: ,afterwards however they sank into...
that utterly no state thrived amongst them