Abandon hope and face your truth

PLAYLIFE

Hey guys/girls,
I'm new here but I'll be glad if I get some help. I want to make a tattoo in latin but I can't translate my phrase.
So I hope that you will be kind enough to help me :). My phrase is Abondon hope and face your truth as I wrote in the subject.
Thank you for the support from now, and I hope it wont cost you too much time. :)

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Re: Abondon hope and face your truth

Please explain what it means. Something so vague and metaphorical can't be translated literally.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Something that has a typo cannot be translated so easily.

Imprecator

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

It most certainly can. Abondon = relonque, of course.

PLAYLIFE

Well how to explain what it means, abondon hope is the one phrase and the other is and face your truth, I mean I don't get the idea how to explain it :shock: Maybe it will be easy to translate it first "abondon hope" and then "face truth" or somethin and then to combine it in a sentce ... idk actually ... :)

PLAYLIFE

HEEEY guys/girls did someone think of somethin or did u get anything for my phrase ??? hate that I'm askin again but I really want to make my tattoo as soon as possible ... :bounce: :computer: :bigbug:

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Tattoos are permanent; don't be in too much of a hurry. Hope for what? What truth? Why is this idea specifically important to you? Where does it come from? Give us more to work with.

Iohannes Aurum

Technicus Auxiliarius

• Technicus Auxiliarius

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

PLAYLIFE's English may be shaky but at least he or she is making an attempt to get the Latin right.

PLAYLIFE

First I don't know whats with my english ... shaky ? really ? I didnt get that also ... But nevermind that, I know that tattoos are permanent , actually I have one or two, so I know whats the deal.Second this is important to me because , its a reminder or something like that, when I see It on my body , as a tattoo It will remind me allways to go forward , to pass the bad and the spiteful things in my life, to achieve my goals and never stop fighting. Also it means to me that I need to face my reallity, not to live in a world of my own, I know many people that are living in some "there world" where they are the most beautiful, smart and so, you know what I ment. And finaly I've thought of a sentece (Abandon hope and face your truth) or (Abandon hope and face truth) to write on my body, so when I see it, it can remind me who am I, or who I wanna be or who I was, if there's any chance I could go in the wrong way. (and sorry for my mistake in the subject, I just didn't see that i've wrote "O" incase of "A" )

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

I know you know tattoos are permanent. I didn't mean that as a negative thing in itself, I was just trying to make the point that it's a very good reason to take your time to make sure you get it right. You might have a couple more weeks without it but you'll still have the rest of your life with it.

It sounds as though what you mean by "abandon hope" is more like "abandon false hope", "abandon illusions" or "abandon an unrealistic way of looking at the world". Would that be fair? It also sounds as though the truth you come to is specific to you and not a generalised truth that's the same for everyone. Would that be fair too?

PLAYLIFE

For the first part I agree, its like that my illusions, my way of seeing things and also hope, cuzz u know u allways have hope,but for the second part, I mean my truth, the way I believe things in live and what is right and what is wrong, my truth :)

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

PLAYLIFE dixit:
That will make it hard to get help.

I myself am not able to reliably translate this phrase (too metaphorical), but someone else may be able to.

PLAYLIFE

Okey guys, I guess this sentece that I want cant be translated, so can you translate "Abandon hope" as one phrase and "Face Truth" as another ? (I guess I'll make two different tattos)

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

spem vanam relinque ut verum tuum aspicias.

Please allow a little longer for others to comment.

B

Bitmap

to abandon hope = spem deponere
spem relinquere doesn't really sound idiomatic to me

Nikolaos

schmikolaos

• Censor

Taking Bitmap's correction into account:

spem vanam depone ut verum tuum aspicias.

This is for the original phrase.

Decimus Canus

Civis Illustris

• Civis Illustris

Yes, I agree that it's an improvement.